Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jones Lake  (Read 4424 times)

tburns

Jones Lake
« on: June 26, 2018, 04:14:27 PM »

Hey all,

Just looking for some tips for Jones Lake.  Figured I'd just bring some of the usual suspects - leeches and natural / black wooly buggers.  Do people have better luck casting or running things like balanced leeches under an indicator?  Would prefer to fish an indicator since I sort of hate casting out of a float tube.

My friends will likely not have a boat to cast from and be using your classic crappy tire rods - any suggestions for them?  Bobbers + worms?  I have roe I could bring for them too - dunno if trout like chinook eggs though.

Appreciate any and all tips, tight lines!

colin6101

Re: Jones Lake
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »

Did well last time I was there casting muddlers for cutthroat on a full sink line.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »

Black wooly buggers with a strip of blue flashibou down each side and through the tail. Killer. Keep some ant patters with you because if that fly ant hatch takes place, you'll be in heaven with a few ants in your box. It's soon coming to the flying ant season so be ready if you go up.

Fatso

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 05:51:11 PM »

I haven't fished Jones for years.  Everything works.  I like drift fishing from a boat with wooly buggers.  A float tube ought to work ok. 
Your friends from the beach will have a tough time but it will be a great outing.  Should be able to hook up with a worm and a float.  Try making a float out of a broom handle.  The wood is heavy yet buoyant.  It will cast like a "hot damn".  No weight necessary.