Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: homemade lures.... tackle  (Read 2068 times)

sumasriver

homemade lures.... tackle
« on: June 25, 2018, 09:37:32 PM »

Homemade lures / tackle

Any good stories or any pics. ?

Love the concept of making something at home that could attract  salmon / trout.

ShaunO

Re: homemade lures.... tackle
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 01:56:01 PM »

This is by no means a comprehensive and complete list of homemade lures and tackle, but for local fisheries I like to tie up my own jigs, make my own spoons and twist up my own spinners. 

For jig tying you should take a look at Bent Rod's website for a jig tying starter kit.  Most tackle shops will also have the supplies you need for tying materials, like schlappen, marabou and rabbit fur.  Youtube is a great resource for watching other people share what they have learned and showing you how to get started.

For spoons and spinners, most of what you need can be purchased locally, but spinners require a wire former to twist up the wire.  A good one can cost upwards of $100 so it might not be something you want to start with.  Spoons can be bought bare and in bulk and with a bag of split rings, some hooks and swivels you can start making some basic lures.  Again, Youtube is a great resource to get started.

I hope some others will chime in on the discussion, but I can tell you that it's a great feeling having a lure you made hook a fish!

obie1fish

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 07:48:35 AM »

Totally agree, Shaun- and the same goes for fly-tying! An excellent example is one early evening on the Vedder when I threw store bought spoons and spinners (Blue Foxes, Crocs, and Koho spoons) in various sizes and finishes with no results. Not even a sniff. Switched to a simple #3 spinner I made up the previous year and got a nice female hatch coho on the second cast, and two more on.

BTW instead of a wire former I use a pair of pliers with conical jaws and bend my wire around that. Years ago I bought a spool of stainless steel wire to make the spinners and it works pretty well, although I think I could have used a slightly heavier gauge. What it does mean is that I have enough wire to last well beyond my lifetime. All in all it's been good for me, because I don't worry about making mistakes with the wire- I just cut it and start again. Same goes for re-using components, especially from the failed experiments that I tie up once in a while.

Shinny

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 08:46:26 AM »

Kokanee to catch Kokanee  8)

https://youtu.be/VAnkpmtwxc8