Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New video: Quennell Lake Smallmouth Bass  (Read 1686 times)

mcallagan

Re: New video: Quennell Lake Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »

Sort of off topic but;

I've poked around the net a bit but can't find an answer:

In Area 5-2 the synopsis states "NO FISHING FOR BASS" this includes: Beaver, Chambers, Joan, McCauley, Opheim, and Roberts lakes, Lake George, and the unnamed lake known locally as
“Rye” lake.

Any idea why?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 07:00:37 AM »

It's to discourage illegal stocking by the 'bucket brigade'. All these lakes have had bass and other warm water/spiny ray fish introduced illegally. The rational is if the people responsible can't get the benefit of fishing for their efforts, they will stop the illegal movement of such fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »

Just watched the video. Thanks.

Interesting that Quennell is now more of a 'quality' bass fishery, not lots of fish but a good size. I fished it back in '73 and my father and I caught lots of bass in a variety of sizes to maybe 3lbs. I went back a few years ago and my experience was much like yours. The day was bright and hot. Caught nothing over 4 or 5 hours and then caught a 16 inch or so fish trolling back to the boat launch.

It also used to have good cutthroat fishing spring and fall but I hear that's declined. Some people blame that on FFSBC's stocking of rainbows, which has been going on since 2009 or so.

It's very pretty pastoral lake with some relatively narrow size channels and some rocky outcrops.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.