Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controversy sparked over chinook salmon closures  (Read 4241 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Controversy sparked over chinook salmon closures
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:05:12 AM »

“If you look at how many chinook are returning to the Fraser River right now, no one should be fishing – no one,”

https://biv.com/article/2018/06/controversy-sparked-over-chinook-salmon-closures

DFO ignores the best advice of science, and marches merrily on with it's race based program of annihilation...   >:(

Nog

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Controversy sparked over chinook salmon closures
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 09:20:08 AM »

It wasn't that long ago that this Canada Day long weekend provided a sharp peak in Chinook in the Fraser. Now the Albion Tests show virtually no Springs. It sure went to hell in a hurry.

Let's see if the Sockeye run holds up for this year but if not, it's over for all of us who were hoping to connect with Fraser Salmon once again.

Very sad to see that the greatest event in Fraser Salmon fishing is over. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:53:33 AM »

It wasn't that long ago that this Canada Day long weekend provided a sharp peak in Chinook in the Fraser. Now the Albion Tests show virtually no Springs. It sure went to hell in a hurry.

Let's see if the Sockeye run holds up for this year but if not, it's over for all of us who were hoping to connect with Fraser Salmon once again.

Very sad to see that the greatest event in Fraser Salmon fishing is over.
For sure, I was just talking to my wife today how I would be out on the bar now camping and bar fishing at this time of year with my boys and friends all I have is memories like this, from nearly 30 years ago. https://youtu.be/EBCaIdsCUdM

I even got rid of my boat a few weeks ago which was a sad day.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 11:44:59 AM »

Albion was, and is an extremely poor indicator.
FN harvests both above and below that site now number into the thousands (and yes, I mean this year).
The sheer number and duration of openings afforded them this year, on threatened / endangered springs, is unfathomable.

So yeah, sadly you are correct in your final assessment...  :o

Nog

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »

I even got rid of my boat a few weeks ago which was a sad day.

Oh my gosh - there goes another FV icon.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »

Albion was, and is an extremely poor indicator.
FN harvests both above and below that site now number into the thousands (and yes, I mean this year).
The sheer number and duration of openings afforded them this year, on threatened / endangered springs, is unfathomable.

So yeah, sadly you are correct in your final assessment...  :o

Nog

Can we see these FN Harvest numbers somewhere? A link? Curious how accurate the numbers being reported would be.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 11:14:09 AM »

Can we see these FN Harvest numbers somewhere? A link? Curious how accurate the numbers being reported would be.

Even DFO understands the reported FN catch is substantially less than the actual FN catch.
That said, here's the link to those they did report thus far, just over 1,500:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/ChinookKeptCatch.html

Albion catches are what now? Around 1% of the reported FN catch methinks.
There is an obvious problem with that location being utilized for abundance monitoring.

Nog

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 12:29:09 PM »

Didnt they start using hydroacoustic counting recently for sockeye and pinks? Would that be a more accurate method for chinook (and non-lethal)?