Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack Lake - Fathers Day  (Read 3929 times)

ShaunO

Chilliwack Lake - Fathers Day
« on: June 10, 2018, 01:27:03 PM »

I'm taking my family camping this coming fathers day at Chilliwack Lake and I plan on bringing our 12' boat and motor along.  I have two boys, ages 5 and 2.5, and I want to spend some quality time with them on top of the camping and exploring.  I would like to take them fishing for a few hours (before or after the wind blows up) and show them how awesome fishing is and why I love it so much.

My trouble is that I am not a very knowledgeable lake fisherman.  I fish the chuck and rivers all year round, but I have only just started to fish the local lakes.  I'd like to be able to catch and release some trout during our trip so I'm looking for some pro-tips on presentation, depth, bottom structure, etc.  I have two Scotty laketroller downriggers on the boat and I have a 30lb electric trolling motor too, while I have a good selection of light/medium spinning rods and tackle lick willow leafs, wedding bands, etc. 

Anyways, I'd truly appreciate any insight and tips into increasing my chances to landing a few trout and seeing my kids all wide eyed and excited.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack Lake - Fathers Day
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 04:31:17 PM »

Bring bug repellent ;)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 06:26:08 PM »

The most productive way to fish Chilliwack lake is to use flashers and plugs off your downriggers for the big Bull Trout. Set them to whatever depth you mark fish at. 50 ft is a good starting point. If that's not your cup of tea u can try chucking spoons or fish bait off the bottom at the creek mouths.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:28:45 PM by Wiseguy »

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 12:47:10 PM »

Tough lake to fish if your not familiar what rigging to use and the best spots in my experience . My kids were board after 3 hours without a sniff . All I caught was a headache listening to the wining and crying  ;D ;D ;D . I have caught a few in there over the years however it was on my own . I ended up taking the kids to Cultus lake over the years after for fathers day. They were able to go swim as well . Try that in Chilliwack Lake  :o . One thing that's great at Chilliwack L. there is a lot more exploring to do there in peace .  8)
Have fun whatever you do .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

ShaunO

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 01:14:12 PM »

Thanks to everyone so far!

I can rig up the downriggers and run a troll pretty well.  What kind of plugs would be effective for Bulls?  I'm not too far from Army & Navy and I could pick up whatever I'm missing before we depart.  I'm also thinking that chucking some spoons or maybe floating some bait near a few creeks for a bit could be a good way to mix things up.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »

I like Lyman plugs. Just Google them to get an idea on sizes and colours. Try trolling along the right hand side of the lake about a 100 yards down from the boat launch travelling towards the far end of the lake. If you plunk bait at the two creek mouths at the far end of the lake your sure to get sucker fish if you don't catch any trouts. That would keep the kids entertained. It's a cold deep lake that does hold nice sized cutthroats and Bull trouts. They can be hard to catch at times. Good Luck.

ShaunO

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 06:10:32 PM »

Thanks Wiseguy.  Those Lyman plugs are a lot bigger than I would have expected!  I was thinking more of K3/K4, but I'll certainly give it a go.

The main goal is to keep the kids entertained and get them interested in fishing and all the great benefits that come along with it.

Cheers!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 05:39:16 PM »

I will usually stack my downriggers with spoons, plugs and kwickfish at the same time. The blue and silver Kwickfish will out fish anything else the majority  of the time for bulls in that lake. I have the entire new line of Lyman plugs and even on Lakers a flat fish will out perform a plug.

ShaunO

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 03:56:21 PM »

Thanks Hike_and_fish!

I'm hitting up Army & Navy either tonight or tomorrow, and gonna dig up the garden for some worms... just in case!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 05:11:12 PM »

A blue and silver Apex is my go to

ShaunO

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 06:12:34 PM »

Thanks everyone!!!

I was able to get some 12" + cutthroat to hand this weekend and it made my boys squeal with excitement when it was on the line.  I think I'll try and come back more this summer to try and refine my skills on the lake.  Saturday was amazing weather conditions and the wind didn't blow up until after dinner!

Cheers,

ShaunO

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 09:03:54 PM »

Thanks everyone!!!

I was able to get some 12" + cutthroat to hand this weekend and it made my boys squeal with excitement when it was on the line.  I think I'll try and come back more this summer to try and refine my skills on the lake.  Saturday was amazing weather conditions and the wind didn't blow up until after dinner!

Cheers,

ShaunO
Glad to hear that.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »

Thanks everyone!!!

Cheers,

ShaunO

Awesome !

What worked for you ?

ShaunO

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 10:42:43 PM »

I was having a hard time trolling with a batter that wasn't holding a charge, so I ended up finding a creek mouth and chucking some power bait and spoons and I had the most luck with the power bait.  With more time and experience I'll be able to dial in the boat and fishing techniques a bit better.

spoiler

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 10:17:27 AM »

yellow flatfish!