Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Methow River - Winthrop KOA - Help needed  (Read 1596 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Methow River - Winthrop KOA - Help needed
« on: June 06, 2018, 11:24:35 AM »

Hello Everyone. 
So we have booked a campground at the Winthrop KOA.   The Methow River flows right beside the grounds and I am told people can fish the river.   I have done some youtube searches and spoke to the caretaker.   The youtube videos show people fishing for steelhead but I am going to be there mid August.  I don't do a lot of river fishing but some searches talk about fly fishing.... I have a lot of questions.

What should I be using?

Floating line?
what flys

should I just pack the spinners.

Anyone been here.   Any thoughts. lol
see ya on the river

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Methow River - Winthrop KOA - Help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 06:36:58 AM »

Never been there but there is trout fishing there. Steelhead in the fall. If you are not planning on fly fishing, small spinners should work as would float fishing nymph patterns under a small float.

Be sure to check the regs down there. I'd guess water temps could be high that time of year. Morning and evening may be the best times to fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 01:33:50 PM »

Yes,  originally I was thinking of bringing a fly rod but I don't have a lot of space packing for the family so I am going to bring some spinners and maybe a dick night.... I understand its single barbless and catch and release but will verify before I get to the spot.   Never thought about chucking bugs under a float.... thanks... that's a good idea..

see ya on the river

Dylb

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »

I'm staying in the same campground on the river this upcoming weekend.

Not going to spend all my time fishing, but will definitely be bringing the gear and giving it a go.

I'm mainly going to be using small spoons and flies under a float, same thing I usually use to target trout around here. I'm bringing a good variety of patterns, and if that fails I will probably check in with a local shop if I can find one and see what they suggest.

Regardless, I will let you know when I get back how things went!

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 02:38:46 PM »

Awesome!!  Cant wait to hear about it!!
see ya on the river