Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser river Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 15915 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2018 Fraser river Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2018, 03:46:58 PM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2018, 04:21:03 PM »

I’m talking non tidal fishing only. Your out to lunch if you think sports guys can harvest over 10 000 Chinook in a summer. Majority of the Chinook caught were from scale bar and peg and those bars are shadows of what they used to be. If it was actually bar fishing only you would see even less.

Me too. See Rod's link which believe supports what I said.

back 10 years or so, tagged chinook smolts were released from the Spius Hatchery (Nicola Watershed) and estimates of exploitation rates (harvest) were based on retrieved tags. In river (Fraser and Thompson) sport estimates were 17% 2007/07 (total for all 49%), 3% for 2008 (total 34%) 20.5% 2009 (total 53.7%)

link: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/abor-autoc/2011FrasRvrChkInformDoc.pdf pgs 22- 25

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:15:39 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2018, 11:37:17 PM »

I’m talking non tidal fishing only. Your out to lunch if you think sports guys can harvest over 10 000 Chinook in a summer. Majority of the Chinook caught were from scale bar and peg and those bars are shadows of what they used to be. If it was actually bar fishing only you would see even less.

X2. Those catch surveys were only estimates. For those of us actually fishing it at the major bars, we just don't see how the sport harvest is that high. Peg and Scale are really shadows of the old days. Assuming the season is open for 30 days (which has hardly been), each day the bars will have to produce 330 fish together to reach that number. Hello? That would be nice if we could have that type of result on the bars. If there are 5 major productive bars, each will need to product 50+ fish per day consistently. That is pure pipedream made up by those who didn't spend the time actually fishing at the bars.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2018, 07:25:32 AM »

Well I gotta admit that I don't have the stomach to fish places like Peg Leg or the Scale Bar. I'd also say that it doesn't take much power of observation to see that given the increased use of boats and fishing directly from them, there is a great deal of fishing activity other than those 2 places. There are also other bars that attract large number of anglers. You just don't go there.

Estimates, the creel survey data certainly are but at least they are based on some verifiable data and observation.The 0.5% convenient guess that was offered is anything but an estimate or verifiable. The Spius creek data in fact suggest in river angling can take a much higher % of fish than the creel survey data indicates.

Restricting the entire consideration to in river angling is unrealistic and self -serving as well. Ultimately conservation demands consideration of all means of exploitation as DFO does. In river anglers always face that conundrum; last in line and for the most part lowest generator of economic value.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2018, 03:16:46 PM »

X2. Those catch surveys were only estimates. For those of us actually fishing it at the major bars, we just don't see how the sport harvest is that high. Peg and Scale are really shadows of the old days. Assuming the season is open for 30 days (which has hardly been), each day the bars will have to produce 330 fish together to reach that number. Hello? That would be nice if we could have that type of result on the bars. If there are 5 major productive bars, each will need to product 50+ fish per day consistently. That is pure pipedream made up by those who didn't spend the time actually fishing at the bars.
Finally thank you. The group of regular lower mainland fisherman is a tight knit group who all communicate regularily. So when the Fraser is open you typically know someone in most of the productive bars. Besides old school scale bar it’s VERY rare to hear of more then a half dozen Chinook killed in a day at any given spot. It’s a lot more common to hear of nothing from most places. Over 90% of places on the Fraser now are very unproductive for Chinook fishing. It’s just the way it is. If you took bottom bouncing out of the equation it would cut the numbers down even further