Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser river Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 15946 times)

Robert_G

Re: 2018 Fraser river Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2018, 06:11:22 PM »

Apparently FN people have been banned from grocery stores which is why they can fish for stocks that are nearing extinction.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2018, 06:45:57 PM »

I didn't stir anything. Anyone who thinks FN fisheries aren't already underway are living in La La land.

FN fisheries are an unavoidable fact.

I was more referring to the authenticity of the reported catch numbers.

avid angler

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »

I have heard it straight from their mouths that they are told to/do lie about their catch reports so they get more openings. Their is little truth in what is reported

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2018, 06:42:21 AM »

'whose mouths'?

If you compare the numbers - 156 vs 1 fish caught in the Albion test fishery, the numbers seem reasonably sound. Same if you look at last years chinook vs sockeye vs previous years.

You think they count every fish caught accurately in the commercial fishery? Sport anglers don't even report. All this FN lie or don't report smacks of enormous hypocrisy.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2018, 07:41:59 AM »

The fn told me personally.... RalphH when was the last time you have even fished the Fraser for any species or spent any time on the river. You sound like a washed upped bored old man with nothing better to do then harp on fishing forums

avid angler

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2018, 07:43:03 AM »

And FYI I’m 100% against the management of the commercial fishery as well

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2018, 08:00:09 AM »

The fn told me personally.... RalphH when was the last time you have even fished the Fraser for any species or spent any time on the river. You sound like a washed upped bored old man with nothing better to do then harp on fishing forums

Ha Ha! - I fish it regularly. I can see out my kitchen window. What are doing spending so much time bitching on fishing forums... aren't you one to talk.

The FN? One guy? does he fish the Fraser?

Cheers AA - enjoy your day.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2018, 08:44:14 AM »

Okay let just assume the reported number is accurate, In 2014 they caught 10 times as much over the same period.

That would mean that this years run so beyond critically low and their should be no fishing period for these endangered Chinook.

How is a run ever going to recover? being constantly netted at low numbers? same goes for the Thompson Steel head. This netting needs to stop.

avid angler

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2018, 09:03:25 AM »

Ha Ha! - I fish it regularly. I can see out my kitchen window. What are doing spending so much time bitching on fishing forums... aren't you one to talk.

The FN? One guy? does he fish the Fraser?

Cheers AA - enjoy your day.

Because it bothers me reading this ignorant garbage about why the runs in the Fraser are failing. There’s literally people posting on this thread unaware any netting is going on at all. I actually have personal relationships with many fn and the story is all the same. If you really feel the nets inside the Fraser aren’t a major reason for the decline and you actually fish it regularily then your opinion is an anomaly. The cupcakes that goes down also doesn’t go down in Maple Ridge... For those wondering what happens with a lot of these early fish a big part of the market is sturgeon guides buying them for bait.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2018, 09:15:23 AM »

WMY the lower Fraser 2014 catch by the end of may in 2014 was about 2.5 times this year's

Is the current FN harvest a hazard to Chinook numbers? Maybe - but that's opinion and not terribly informed, except by moral panic.

Honestly I don't know...I'd greatly prefer that there was no netting except perhaps for 1st salmon ceremonies. Anyway this is the political and cultural situation we have made. The self serving and widely bigoted sport fishing community is as much to blame as any in my opinion.

I think most people who do know the Fraser fishery know netting takes place on the spring chinook run. It's no big secret.

avid angler

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2018, 09:31:34 AM »

How is the sports fishing community as much to blame. Even with a may-October opening we would struggle take even .5% of the returning fish. From a numbers what you say makes no sense. There’s a lot of factors. There was probably more fish in 2014. However this years high water would be a major factor as well as the changing river. The channel pushes more fish towards the derby reach side now meaning less fish in the path of the Albion.

purple monster

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2018, 09:44:50 AM »

Thank you, Rodney, for the listing of FN fisheries.
that is a lot of openings. Must be hard with the high water and increased flow.

Now, I am not sure why not be totally familiar with this fishery, that makes me a citizen of la la land. Weird.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2018, 09:46:38 AM »

Well I was referring to something else. Maybe read what I wrote again.

As far your 0.5% estimate, out to lunch.

Creel survey estimates are available on DFO if you know where to look. The Fraser has 2 (remaining) major chinook natural spawning populations; the late summer Shuswap and the fall Harrison run. When the river is open most angler effort gets concentrated on the summer and late summer component. Exploitation rates per the creel surveys typically runs several thousand to over 10,000 on a run that probably is not much more than 100 to 120k  which means in river exploitation may run up to 10%. That doesn't include tidal fisheries that run longer and cover a much wider area.

Cheers

avid angler

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2018, 02:10:44 PM »

I’m talking non tidal fishing only. Your out to lunch if you think sports guys can harvest over 10 000 Chinook in a summer. Majority of the Chinook caught were from scale bar and peg and those bars are shadows of what they used to be. If it was actually bar fishing only you would see even less.

GordJ

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2018, 03:32:54 PM »

Well I was referring to something else. Maybe read what I wrote again.

As far your 0.5% estimate, out to lunch.

Creel survey estimates are available on DFO if you know where to look. The Fraser has 2 (remaining) major chinook natural spawning populations; the late summer Shuswap and the fall Harrison run. When the river is open most angler effort gets concentrated on the summer and late summer component. Exploitation rates per the creel surveys typically runs several thousand to over 10,000 on a run that probably is not much more than 100 to 120k  which means in river exploitation may run up to 10%. That doesn't include tidal fisheries that run longer and cover a much wider area.

Cheers
Ralph, isn't there a population spawning in the lower Fraser?