Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ross Lake at the end of June  (Read 6995 times)

robbo1970

Ross Lake at the end of June
« on: May 21, 2018, 08:34:39 AM »

So my eldest will be 7 at the end of June and is very excited to be getting his Echo Gecko fly rod.

I want to take him and his brothers camping the weekend of his birthday and was thinking about Ross Lake in Skagit Valley. What are the water levels like then.

Also is there shore fishing available. We dont have a boat so are kind of restricted that way, or does anyone know of anywhere that rents boats with a trailer by the weekend. I have a truck so pulling a trailer is no problem.

Thanks

Rob

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Ross Lake at the end of June
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »

Ross Lake is a reservoir that generates much of Seattle's electricity, so it is regulated by power need.  You can see a description and current lake levels here https://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv?station=12175000.  I assume you want to fish the BC end of the lake?  If you drive down to the WA end, the resort rents boats (there is no boat launch on the US side, so you must rent a boat here if you come in from this end).  Here is the rental info:  http://www.rosslakeresort.com/equipmentrental.html

I just noticed this little gem on the Skagit Valley Provincial Park website:  "Reservoir Information
Ross Lake campground is located on a reservoir. The level of the water in the reservoir fluctuates greatly. July and August are the only months when the lake is at full pool. Other times there is no water at all on the Canadian side."

Is it July that you are planning on going?  Hopefully the lake will be a full pool by then - or you can fish the US side.

As for boat rentals, I surprised myself but found this:  "on a trailer for pick up in Port Coquitlam"  https://www.bcboatrentals.ca/.  I'm not sure, but their boats may be a bit too big for this purpose. 

I should probably be working, but instead I am trolling fishing forums while counting down to the June 1 opener for spring Chinook on a local river.

robbo1970

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 04:25:06 PM »

Thanks Coho Jake.

I normally fish that local spring chinook opening too!

I am not really set up for lakes as I normally fish the rivers, but with a 7,4 and 2 year old boys I am starting to look at lakes too.

I am going to check out that boat rental in coquitlam, I unfortunately dont have a passport to cross the li e down to the US side

Rob

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 10:40:00 PM »

Thanks Coho Jake.

I normally fish that local spring chinook opening too!

I am not really set up for lakes as I normally fish the rivers, but with a 7,4 and 2 year old boys I am starting to look at lakes too.

I am going to check out that boat rental in coquitlam, I unfortunately dont have a passport to cross the li e down to the US side

Rob
No problem Rob!  btw - if you don't have a passport, it isn't the same spring chinook opening I am waiting for (but I have fished that one as well).  Good luck!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 06:17:27 AM »

Check the synopsis, the Canadian end of Ross Lake is closed until July 1st.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 07:29:44 AM »

Check the synopsis, the Canadian end of Ross Lake is closed until July 1st.
D'oh!  So is the US side!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 09:30:49 PM »

Not sure how Ross Lake will be, but the skagit can be thick, and I mean thick with mosquitos.

robbo1970

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 04:11:54 AM »

Thanks for the heads up about the regs, didn't even think it may be closed. Just goes to show its a good idea to check before you go anywhere.
There has been a slight change plans now, and it looks like we will be only going for one night, so probably going to go to Hicks.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:26:45 AM »

better postpone to Ross lake in July. By the end of June, not many lakes are easy to fish except Ross

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 12:08:19 AM »

The mosquitoes at Ross Lake are generally not bad, nothing like the Skagit anyway. You might get some around shore when getting the boat ready, but once you're out on the boat you'll be fine.