Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lake trout trolling  (Read 2073 times)

mr.bean

lake trout trolling
« on: May 09, 2018, 08:52:33 PM »

so, my experience in trolling is limited. for rainbows I usually use one of my smaller spinning rods, spinning reel and it worked pretty good so far. I would like to try for some lakers. my question is would a 9 foot 6 spinning rod with a spinning reel work ? the rod is rated #15 lbs and has a moderate action. my plan is to attach a large dipsy diver, a sling blade or dodger and whatever spoon or plug. # 30 main line and # 15 flouro leader. would this work ? or do I need a specialty dipsy diver rod for this ? also could I use this spinning rod with a down rigger ?  thanks 

stsfisher

Re: lake trout trolling
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 07:30:24 AM »

Yes to all of the above.
The dodger or sling blade is not always necessary when fishing spoons or plugs. I fish with and without with success on downriggers, and I have personally seen dipsy combos produce just as well. The important factor is knowing the depth of your dipsy and repeat your line pulls if you encounter fish.

A great combo of Laker spoons here if you are interested.  https://gtdyks.wixsite.com/mysite

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 08:29:11 AM »

Knowing you are at the depth that the fish are is the most critical factor.  Also important is having good working knowledge of your electronics.

Baitcaster/Levelwinds are WAY better for trolling, particularly with larger and heavier gear.  The divers, bigger blades and plugs can create a lot more line twist.

Watch youtube videos and fishing shows to shorten the learning the curve.  Lake trout have some specific patterns that aren't necessarily the same as fishing for rainbows.

PS - don't forget about jigging

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 01:44:35 PM »

I wouldn’t call myself a lake trout angler as I have just done it once with some success.

Our weighting system was a 3 oz bouncing Betty that was rigged in front of a willow leaf and an Apex.

Our depth control was as rudimentary as our tackle. A wild arsed guess as to how deep they were, let a bunch of line out, and then a bit more for good measure.

Total newb tactics but certainly rewarding when it worked.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40193.msg378962#msg378962

Dogbreath

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »

The divers, bigger blades and plugs can create a lot more line twist.
Blades might but the rest No they don't twist line but spinning reels do-no matter that's what ball bearing swivels are for.

If they're too pricey for you use two bead chain swivels in series.

As to speed go as slow as you can then throw out out a bucket on a rope to slow you down more.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:56:30 PM »

--depending on boat size that's a lot of rod length for a small boat.
--if you have a boat that you can stand up in or move forward when netting without getting to big an angle on the rod length is not an issue.
--assuming you plan to catch fish, you need a plan to land or release them.