Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pacific Salmon Foundation's position on aquaculture in BC  (Read 2827 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Pacific Salmon Foundation's position on aquaculture in BC
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »

While at the same time our wild and sport fishing industry that actually kills salmon shifts into high gear.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:38:45 PM by Fisherbob »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Pacific Salmon Foundation's position on aquaculture in BC
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 01:56:18 PM »

While at the same time our wild and sport fishing industry that actually kills salmon shifts into high gear.

While I agree Bob

Attacking sports fishermen, Commercial or First Nations fishermen is not a strategy I would employee.  Perhaps Fish farms need to use some of the money going to Marine Harvest share holders and put it to use enhancing wild fish stocks, Using their hatchery and rearing techniques and technology they have gained.  Fish Farms could employee a similar Put and take strategy.  Their is obviously some wild salmon mortality associated with fish farms. I believe it to be low and while salmon stocks were healthy and survival rates were higher it was a miniscule impact.

Why not raise and release some pacific salmon to offset any losses due to fish farms. I believe a strategy like this if employed would win back the hearts of many supporters.