Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to go  (Read 4525 times)

bmynbr

Where to go
« on: May 05, 2018, 01:02:55 PM »

Hey guys. Me and my buddy want to go camp for a night with our kids. Looking for a lake were we can throw up a tent or park a trailer and have the kids actually catch fish. Don't care what kind of fish. Just better odds of catching. Within like an hour of chilliwack.
Thanks, dave

bmynbr

Re: Where to go
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 01:12:26 PM »

Also the closer to free the better

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 04:12:03 PM »

PM sent.

colin6101

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 04:35:56 PM »

I'd go to Sasquatch park in Harrison personally, either Deer or Hicks lake. It's a provincial campsite so it's an easy place to take kids to.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 03:11:40 PM »

My vote is Manning Provincial Park. The rainbow trout in Lightning Lake are easily caught from shore by kids

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »

It was a pleasant day at Hicks today. A variety of species can be caught close to shore in 10' of water right now (newly stocked catchable rainbow trout, native rainbow trout, cutthroat trout and kokanee). We encountered all four species today, so not a bad option.

Manning is pretty so another good option suggested by clarki. I've been told rainbow trout are plentiful but I never caught one at Lightning Lake last year lol, but I think that was more timing (mid summer) than the location.

Shea Lake in the Kane Valley is around one hour drive from Chilliwack and it gets my vote too. Lots of feisty rainbow trout in it. Average size is 14", but bigger fish are also around. This time of the year is really quiet up there.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »

Lightning lakes are over 4000 feet elevation in an area with high winter snowfall. Still early there and better timing would be in July. One year my wife and I took the kids there in mid-July and the lakes were still cold and fish were in little coves close to shore. They fish well for small (6 to 8 inches) trout all summer. There are some good mayfly hatches but spinning suitable  lures can be good.Yes you can catch fish from shore. Nice place to canoe or kayak plus good walking trails around the lakes.

Locally if you are looking to camp and fish in the next month I'd agree with Sasquatch or Weaver. The Lakes around Alice near Squamish would also be a good bet.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 09:12:09 PM »

Like rod and Ralph, I went to to lightening lakes in mid June  and disputed it being a hot day and been hot for a week the lake was void of life and I did not catch any fish. Lake was still very cold

I talked to a local their that fishes the lake often that caught a couple. When there is a bit of wind I’m talking still flat but a breeze  all the bugs get blown to downwind and the fish all stay and feed their at the end of the lake that’s the furthest downwind. So if the wind is blowing east to west all the fish will be at the west end of the lake.

bmynbr

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 06:07:44 AM »

thanks everyone.  I think we are going to go to sasquatch.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 08:20:16 PM »

It was a pleasant day at Hicks today. A variety of species can be caught close to shore in 10' of water right now (newly stocked catchable rainbow trout, native rainbow trout, cutthroat trout and kokanee). We encountered all four species today, so not a bad option.

@Rodney, if I only have fly rods and spinning tackle, without a down-rigger what are the best ways to increase my odds of picking up a Kokanee at Hicks.  Thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 12:25:51 AM »

@Rodney, if I only have fly rods and spinning tackle, without a down-rigger what are the best ways to increase my odds of picking up a Kokanee at Hicks.  Thanks.

Most (or probably all of them) of the kokanee in Hicks are small, they're all about 8 inches long. I've always caught some while float fishing with bait for rainbows and cutthroats, like today. ;D

Good fishing today, probably had about 50 hook-ups between 1pm and 7pm. Most of the hook-ups happened after 5pm, while I spent most of the few first hours going around the lake looking for new spots. Again all the fish were caught in 10' of water. In fact I could see lots of fish cruising around by looking under my boat.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 10:23:49 AM »

Most (or probably all of them) of the kokanee in Hicks are small, they're all about 8 inches long. I've always caught some while float fishing with bait for rainbows and cutthroats, like today. ;D

Good fishing today, probably had about 50 hook-ups between 1pm and 7pm. Most of the hook-ups happened after 5pm, while I spent most of the few first hours going around the lake looking for new spots. Again all the fish were caught in 10' of water. In fact I could see lots of fish cruising around by looking under my boat.

Any bigger one?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 07:41:43 PM »

Video from the last visit to Hicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1YszONAsP8

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 01:09:22 PM »

Video from the last visit to Hicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1YszONAsP8

Are those Pautzke Fireballs some sort of scent infused plastic/rubber like Jensen eggs or is it something different? How is the durability and shelf life compared to regular eggs? I had a jar of Pautzke salmon eggs which worked welll when new, but after some time in the fridge they dried out and had to be tossed.