Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck fishing rod  (Read 6172 times)

avid angler

Stuck fishing rod
« on: May 05, 2018, 12:58:16 PM »

I loaned my buddy my 4120 to use last weekend and after the first spot it got stuck together. I’ve tried heating it, tried icing it and nothing is working. Anyone have any interest tricks? Or even better anyone in the chilliwack area with a knack for this that can give it a shot? I really want this thing apart will pay cash or beer whatever you want.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Stuck fishing rod
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 03:16:04 PM »

Try wearing thin rubber gloves and twisting slightly when pulling apart.

nevertoolate

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »

what worked for me was alternating the icing and the heat and eventually it came free

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 07:39:12 AM »

try some of the tricks from websites. Holding the rod behind you and down towards your knees. https://www.deneki.com/2014/01/unsticking-fly-rod-ferrules/

this one is interesting:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy6XQuTlNpI

The one of 2 times it's happened to me I applied cold with a bag of frozen peas.Something too cold may cause too much contraction and make it worse.

I apply paraffin to the ferrules once a year after wiping them clean and haven't had such a problem since I started doing this.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:49:37 PM »

Bend over slightly, Put the rod behind your knees, grab the rod on each outside of your knees and pull it apart using your knees to push out on your hands while pulling at same time with your hands.
Your positioning should be almost like a squat except holding the rod behind your knees.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 10:01:29 PM »

the rod behind the knees trick usually works, what bothers me is the fact that he had heated it......that's not so good
It ain't the roe bro'

steelheadfreak

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 08:17:36 AM »

Wrap rubber inner tube around both ferrels, grip and twist......every time. Guaranteed.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 10:06:27 AM »

Its junk now.
Just let me know and i will pick it up and use it in my garden to hold up my Tomatoes or something. ;)
The behind the knee usually worked for me.

Ambassador

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 03:59:36 PM »

Old trick my dad taught me (after I broke a nice rod trying to twist it apart) - roll the thinner part around the outside of your nose before you put them together. Even if you are not an overly oily person it will do the job of lubricating the post well. Never had one stuck since I've been doing that.
Sounds gross - but it works.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 11:57:20 PM »

I loaned my buddy my 4120 to use last weekend and after the first spot it got stuck together. I’ve tried heating it, tried icing it and nothing is working. Anyone have any interest tricks? Or even better anyone in the chilliwack area with a knack for this that can give it a shot? I really want this thing apart will pay cash or beer whatever you want.

If it's not apart with any of the tricks mentioned by next week wednesday, I'll gladly come try (home on a work trip till then).

I've gotten numerous rods apart now that we never thought could be taken apart. Those exercise/resistance bands are amazing, I keep one full time in my pack now. Wrap 3 times above and below where it's stuck, and twist/pull. Normally the issue with not getting them apart is grip, and the slight bending of the blank that results from the lack of grip. If that doesn't get it apart, then I don't know what will.

96XJ

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 08:22:38 AM »

Old trick my dad taught me (after I broke a nice rod trying to twist it apart) - roll the thinner part around the outside of your nose before you put them together. Even if you are not an overly oily person it will do the job of lubricating the post well. Never had one stuck since I've been doing that.
Sounds gross - but it works.

Lol , thats what my dad taught me as well , of course the time the rod got stuck together i didnt do it , i tried all of the above and more - didnt work

arimaBOATER

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 04:28:36 PM »

Lol , thats what my dad taught me as well , of course the time the rod got stuck together i didnt do it , i tried all of the above and more - didnt work
Wow I forgot all about that idea. Totally lost in my memory. I now recall a fisherman rubbing the rod end on the side of his nose for the very reason as mentioned.
What about WD 40 spray? Spray alittle & set rod in position where lubricant will try to penetrate. ( or 3 in 1 oil from small can ) if all else fails ...by all suggestions ya just will have to go to a trucking place.
Rig rod between two opposite semi's & get them to put in first gear & pull.

wookie

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 12:24:44 PM »

ICE PACK over female end of ferrule. 

MY spey was stuck together for a year until i tried this.......

buckjr

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 07:01:39 PM »

Purchase a can of dust off or canned air. The stuff you use to blow on electronics/keyboards etc. Spray the ferrule until it becomes good and frosty then attempt to pull apart using the best gripping method you can achieve. This method cools the blank immediately and achieves a way cooler temperature than ice packs or other attempt to cool the blank. Generally the most difficult stuck blanks comes apart with minimal effort in my experience.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »

This is not rocket science. Only trying to unstuck two pieces of a fishing rod.
What is lacking is motivation.
So all we need is a rich person to give $1 million dollars to anyone getting this rod in question apart.
Imagine if & when the money becomes in effect the rod will be unstuck & in 2 pieces within an hour at most.