Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whuppin' Stick  (Read 3157 times)

KarateKick

Whuppin' Stick
« on: April 10, 2018, 08:17:31 PM »

I am looking at a Cabela's Whuppin' Stick that is on sale for $27 (40% off from $45).  It's 10 foot long and rated 4-20 lbs.  Do you think it'd good for bar fishing?  It's an all-fibreglass rod that probably does not load well for casting spoons, but is it good for swinging a big weight out to the middle of the river?

I've seen trolling rods for about the same price, but I guess they have some properties that are not good for throwing weights.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:24:16 PM by KarateKick »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Whuppin' Stick
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 10:11:48 PM »

Too light IMO. From my limited experience bar fishing you need a rod that can toss a big hunk of lead. Like at least 12oz at least where I fished on the Fraser. I believe where we fished last year we were tossing 14-16oz of lead to stay on bottom.

The rod you mentioned has a medium power rating. Too light. You want something that is at least MH  or H.

I would look for a used Trophy Fraser King bar rod or similar gigantic meat stick.

For comparison when I first tried bar fishing I used my 11"6 Shimano Technium which is rated MH and 12-25 line rating. It felt like it was going to snap casting those big bar weights. After that I bought 2 used bar rods off Craig's list. I don't have the specs on me but I think they are both 11 feet and something like 20-40 line rating and Heavy power.

Also you will need a big ugly spinning reel or bait casting reel loaded up with braid. I believe my reels have 50lb braid and I did not have an issue with this breaking strength.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 07:12:28 AM »

It very much depends where you plan to bar fish. The non tidal portion of the Fraser is completely different gear then the lower tidal section. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:56:59 AM »

KarateKick don't buy anything just yet as I am going through my gear and I have a spinning rod and I know that I have a new spinning reel somewhere and as soon as I find it I will send you pictures to see if you would like it. If you end up wanting it I will get my wife to bring me out. The cost is the same as last time, free.

Geff

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »

Some good info by other members! My bar fishing experience is limited to around Island 22, targeting salmon. There we needed massive meat stick rods and lead at least 12-14oz to stay on bottom, any less would get swept down the river. But makes sense that under different conditions and targeting different species a much lighter rod and gear may be adequate. Guess I learned something here too :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 05:35:31 PM »

Time of year also effects tackle in the tidal section. Of course there isn't much to fish in May through July when the freshet is on excepting sturgeon and a few spots for bulls.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:26:58 AM »

KarateKick don't buy anything just yet as I am going through my gear and I have a spinning rod and I know that I have a new spinning reel somewhere and as soon as I find it I will send you pictures to see if you would like it. If you end up wanting it I will get my wife to bring me out. The cost is the same as last time, free.

Geff

Re-quoted for awesomeness....

KarateKick

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 09:56:25 AM »

Re-quoted for awesomeness....

It's not the first time.  Geff is one of the most kind-hearted gentlemen on the earth.

You are a great guy too Knnn!

I am also feeling excited by Aaron's offer.  Every bit of help means a little more success, and it all contributes to my family's long-term survival.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:23:08 AM by KarateKick »