Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Area River Fishing Suggestions?  (Read 3065 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Squamish Area River Fishing Suggestions?
« on: March 27, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »

My buddy and I are headed up to Squamish tomorrow for three days of fishing. We've only fished the Squamish a few times, for pink salmon near the railway bridge at the confluence of the Squamish and Mamquam. There's an intimidating amount of terrain up there to explore!

I've got a fly rod, spinning rod, and centerpin. I'll bring all three but leaning towards croc spoons on the spinning setup and chucking some flies. Any suggestions for other presentations that would work well? Pink worms and/or jigs?

As far as fishing locations, I've spent a lot of time on Google Maps and have some ideas to try. Please let me know if any of these spots are bad for whatever reason. Driving a 2WD Honda Civic but not squeamish about getting off-road with it  ;)

Mamquam:
  • Near the river campground across from the golf course
  • In the canyon below the small hydro dam
Cheakamus:
  • Between Fergie's cafe and Pleasant Valley Campground (staying clear of the hatchery)
  • Drive up to Cheakamus Canyon trailhead and walk/wade from there
  • Around Chance Creek Bridge
Squamish:
  • Anderson Beach
  • Squamish Riverside Campground (at Ashlu Rd)
Any other suggestions? Doesn't have to be specific spots, general areas would be fine too! Looking forward to getting out in the wilderness and enjoying some spectacular scenery :D Thanks!

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish Area River Fishing Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 08:34:12 PM »

You have done your research well.  Those are all viable fishing opportunities.  Anywhere above the Ashlu bridge on the Squamish River will give you more than 3 days of fishing in of itself.

As of last weekend, your honda civic would be good to go (slowly) up to the 18 km mark and then rutted snow appears which may cause you problems.  Don't know if there has been any recent snow.

Spoons and flies are a great combo if you don't want to carry the kitchen sink.  If fishing the Squamish, go with heavier spoons such as Koho 45's, R&B wobble spoons or the prime lures in silver, silver/brass, white, chartreuse, minimum 2/5 oz, preferably 2/3 oz. Ff you want to find bulls swing and tap bottom, you might even find some steel.  You might find your standard crocs a little light in anything but the slowest water.

For flies, go with minnow patterns at this time of year, although a white/UV chenille bugger in a size 6-8, particularly in coloured water cant be beat. Make sure you have sink tips to swing close to the bottom.

If you have a buddy get him to carry the CP/float set up and short float white or pale pink worms, 4 inches in clear or 6 in slightly coloured water.  A pale bead can also still work.

Good luck.