Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boot Advice  (Read 1942 times)

dave c

Boot Advice
« on: March 04, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »

After having the sole of my Simms Rock Creek boots literally fall off after one seasons use I purchased a pair of Cabelas Ultralight II boots. They're a good fit and seem like a good deal for $100. They come with cleats which can be inserted when needed. My question is if there are any threaded plugs plugged eith felt caps which can be purchased. I will occasionally use the cleats (ie Chehalis canyon) but am concerned that the holes provided will get filled with grit and sand making insertion of cleats difficult if not impossible.  Are there any other suggestions? Was thinking a dab of Vaseline before each use may alleviate the problem. Thanks in advance

spoiler

Re: Boot Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 03:35:30 PM »

what about silicone?

dave c

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »

what about silicone?
Thought about silicone. Am concerned that if a hardened piece gets into hole might be impossible to get out

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 12:03:19 PM »

Maybe little pieces of super stick tape? Duck or tuck tape?
I know it's a bit late as you already bought the Cabelas boots.
Next go I'd try Korkers. I like that I can roll with felt soles 90% of the time. Dry trail? I switch to the straight rubber. Snow and ice? Switch to the studded rubber. Super mossy slippery death rocks? Switch to studded felt.
I don't think the quality is as good as my Simms Guide and other boots, but the convenience of being able to swap soles is hard to beat.