Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favorite March fisheries in the Lower Mainland!  (Read 10321 times)

hammer

Re: Favorite March fisheries in the Lower Mainland!
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 09:29:28 PM »

KK,
have you tried deer lake in Burnaby? There are are a number of fairly easy access points and there are numerous species. I believe it is stocked as well. Once the water warms up a bit, you should have success on worm and bobber. There are bass, sunfish, bullhead catfish, trout, carp, and probably other stuff. If you look on google earth, there is a sandy bank on the south side. When I took some students canoeing there, it seemed like a good spot. There is also a dock near where you get the canoes, people fish off of that.
good luck

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 11:28:44 AM »

Hello clarki: The occasional success has provided a lot of joy which has helped us survive some very difficult times, but it would not have been possible without the advice and encouragement of wonderful folks like you. I am really very grateful for your support.

I have wieners at home but I guess you mean the McDonalds breakfast type of sausage?

I wasn't suggesting that sausage is the magic bait for perch, more to illustrate that, in my experience, that weren't that difficult to catch. Admittedly I have only targeted them once with the kids and that was off a wharf in a non-urban part of the coast, so I have no experience fishing for them locally. Perhaps other members can point you in the right direction.

I know you have said that you are wanting to fish in the Vancouver area because you are needing to be close to the hospital, however if Deer Lake is possible, then Hammer's suggestion is a very good one.             

KarateKick

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »

KK,
have you tried deer lake in Burnaby? There are are a inumber of fairly easy access points and there are numerous species. I believe it is stocked as well. Once the water warms up a bit, you should have success on worm and bobber. There are bass, sunfish, bullhead catfish, trout, carp, and probably other stuff. If you look on google earth, there is a sandy bank on the south side. When I took some students canoeing there, it seemed like a good spot. There is also a dock near where you get the canoes, people fish off of that.
good luck

I know you have said that you are wanting to fish in the Vancouver area because you are needing to be close to the hospital, however if Deer Lake is possible, then Hammer's suggestion is a very good one.             

Thank you so much clarki and hammer!  Deer Lake is not too far so we'll give it a try.

Until the lakes are stocked my biggest priority is to find some fish that will feed while the water is still so cold.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2018, 05:30:02 PM »

Deer Lake is a good bet early in the season. Once things warm up a bit the weeds choke off some of the fishing from the dock by the boat rental place, and the lilypads surround the dock below the arts centre. The sandy beach on the south side stays pretty weed-free even in the summer.

TimL

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2018, 01:46:35 PM »

I personally like the cutthroat fisheries at this time of year in the local sloughs and estuaries..it only gets better in April and May when the bull trout arrive in substantial numbers.

Crabbing can be quite productive too.

Pile perch are really fun to catch on light tackle but in my experience are easily spooked and picky with baits especially around wharves. The season for them however doesn't really pick up till mid spring-early summer when they head back to inshore waters and remains good well into the fall months.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:26:16 PM by TimL »