Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favorite March fisheries in the Lower Mainland!  (Read 10333 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Favorite March fisheries in the Lower Mainland!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 08:19:48 PM »

I did the ocean in a smaller boat then yours pre 2016. Have to play the weather got out when it says light and is forecast for light.  If it says it’s going to be light but there was big winds the day before don’t bother sog will still be lumpy.  North west’s are bad, and wind coming from the east is not a concern.

Ate waves from tugboats in the North arm, few greenies over the bow.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »

I hear ya.  Did quite a few days in an open 14' Mirrocraft tiller steered tinny over the years at the mouth of the Fraser for sox and around the usual places around the harbour and north shore.  Got my fill of that.

I just hate to make the pull from Langley only to turn around and head back to the valley if the weather changes or wasn't accurate.  I don't get many free days, so when I have a day booked away from the fam to hit the water, I gotta make hay while the sun shines.

Which usually leaves me hitting Alouette or something like that in my 16' footer.  Or depending on the time of year taking my little tinny to a few local spots that aren't conducive to fiberglass boat use, lol.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »

Beware, the boat launch at Chilliwack Lake is closed until the May long weekend.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 08:22:54 AM »

Good point Dave.  No way I would have made the trek out there til it warms up though.  Just realized the thread said March.  lol

I might squeeze in one Alouette run and maybe a Kawkawa this month.  Went to Aloutte on the weekend hoping the gate would be open, it wasn't.  Still says closed as well;
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/golden_ears/

KarateKick

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 09:05:57 PM »

As usual I am desperate to help the kids catch ANY fish until the lakes are stocked. One of them doesn't get much time outside hospital, so we have to stay near Vancouver. We've tried catching sculpin in the lower Fraser without success last weekend.

Are the dogfish our best bet? If so can I just use defrosted seafood as bait?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 08:13:01 AM »

As usual I am desperate to help the kids catch ANY fish until the lakes are stocked. One of them doesn't get much time outside hospital, so we have to stay near Vancouver. We've tried catching sculpin in the lower Fraser without success last weekend.

Yeah, that would work You need strong line to bring them up the sea wall though.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »

We've tried catching sculpin in the lower Fraser without success last weekend.
Hmm That should be a cant miss fishery. Can you elaborate on the technique you used?

Earthworms or other bait sitting on the bottom, and you literally cant keep them off your hook...

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »

My favorite fishery used to be the Harrison for Cutthroat. However the Chum population has been on the decline and fry seem to be few and far between. The Cutthroat population is also in decline. The Harrison is not co-operating this year with the low water levels either. Launched at Island 22 yesterday only to find most of the Harrison with no water. I wonder how many fry have died. A lot of spawning beds have no water. Just  shame what has happened to this river over the last 15 years.

KarateKick

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »

Yeah, that would work You need strong line to bring them up the sea wall though.

Thank you so much.  Should I jig the bait or just let it sit?

By the way, are there good spots other than Coal Harbour?  Parking is a challenge in that area.

KarateKick

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 01:36:01 PM »

We've tried catching sculpin in the lower Fraser without success last weekend.

Hmm That should be a cant miss fishery. Can you elaborate on the technique you used?

Earthworms or other bait sitting on the bottom, and you literally cant keep them off your hook...

Hi Dan, we were bottom fishing with prawns and earthworms.  Maybe it was still too cold for sculpin to start feeding?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:23:43 PM by KarateKick »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 01:38:40 PM »

KK, having followed your posts for several years, my heart goes out to your family circumstances and what you are trying to accomplish.

Another Vancouver saltwater fishery to consider is pile perch. I have only fished for them once off a wharf with the kids (not in Vancouver area) and the action was fast and furious on leftover breakfast sausages. I don't know if local piers are fished out, but it may be something to consider.   
http://www.fishnbc.com/species/pile_perch.html

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 01:44:18 PM »

Learn to Fish: Green Timbers Lake
Date: March 21, 2018 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM

In this 2 hour session you’ll learn the basics of freshwater fishing including: hatchery roles, fish identification, tackle, rod rigging, casting, and hands-on fishing.

Rapala fishing rods provided
For children ages 5 and older, with accompanying adults
Programs run rain or shine
Registration required
Meet at the south end of the lake
Important! Please ensure you arrive on time as the introductory information on fishing techniques and ethics are important to your participation in the hands-on fishing portion.  We reserve the right to deny entry to those arriving after the program has started.

Cost: By donation

Contact Info: Visit.Fraservalley@gofishbc.com     
1 (604) 504-4716

Thank you to our sponsors: Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation, Rapala, BC Ram Dealers, Province of British Columbia, and Yamaha Motor Canada

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 01:44:48 PM »

Learn to Fish: Lafarge Lake
Date: March 22, 2018 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM

In this 2 hour session you’ll learn the basics of freshwater fishing including: hatchery roles, fish identification, tackle, rod rigging, casting, and hands-on fishing.

Rapala fishing rods provided
For children ages 5 and older, with accompanying adults
Programs run rain or shine
Registration required.   Click here. Find program under "Nature and Outdoor Pursuits", "Adult & Child"
Meet at the west side of the lake, near the small fishing dock
Important! Please ensure you arrive on time as the introductory information on fishing techniques and ethics are important to your participation in the hands-on fishing portion.  We reserve the right to deny entry to those arriving after the program has started.

Cost: By donation

Contact Info: Visit.Fraservalley@gofishbc.com     
1 (604) 504-4716

Thank you to our sponsors: Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation, Rapala, BC Ram Dealers, Province of British Columbia, and Yamaha Motor Canada.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 01:45:51 PM »

Hi Dan, we twere bottom fishing with prawns and earthworms.  Maybe it was still too cold for sculpin to start feeding?

Lots of Learn to Fish events fun with kids!

https://www.gofishbc.com/Events.aspx

KarateKick

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »

KK, having followed your posts for several years, my heart goes out to your family circumstances and what you are trying to accomplish.

Another Vancouver saltwater fishery to consider is pile perch. I have only fished for them once off a wharf with the kids (not in Vancouver area) and the action was fast and furious on leftover breakfast sausages. I don't know if local piers are fished out, but it may be something to consider.   
http://www.fishnbc.com/species/pile_perch.html

Hello clarki: The occasional success has provided a lot of joy which has helped us survive some very difficult times, but it would not have been possible without the advice and encouragement of wonderful folks like you. I am really very grateful for your support.

I have wieners at home but I guess you mean the McDonalds breakfast type of sausage?