Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Madness  (Read 4367 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Coho Madness
« on: August 01, 2004, 03:11:59 PM »

For anyone considering a run down to Bamfield area:

Was out yest just off Beale. A serious amount of surface bait, complete with both coho and spring accompanying. Insane fishery all less than 20 feet for depth, and jigging 3.5 inchers the way to go. Between two of us, landed almost 100 in but 2 hours, constant and furious action! Very Seriously. Arms ache, and still wearing the coho perma-grin! Bait all 3" herring, cohos to 15 bloody pounds, and about 40% hatch jobs.

Cheers,
Nog

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Coho Madness
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 04:48:04 PM »

Good report. Save some of those cohos when I go to the Stamp in September.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 07:59:38 PM »

Nice report hope some of those 15 pounders are heading our way, the Vedder. ;D

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 08:14:52 PM »

no no there stave coho  ;)
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 09:50:59 PM »

not If I find em first ;)

Randog

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 10:38:18 PM »

Way to go Matt, I'll see you in Sept., save a couple of  Elk Steaks for me and Mrs. Randog! ;D

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 03:53:27 PM »

Don't quite know where those fish were headed, BUT I DO know what the Stamp will be like later this fall  ;D We're expecting the largest run of springs back in nearly 40 years, comprised of 4, 5 and even a few 6 year class fish (translated a LOT of LARGE!), and given the robustness of the coho we're seeing both nearshore and on the Banks, the coho will likely give a most impressive showing as well! Watch for the openings on the flow, it will be a madhouse!

Randog: It strongly looks like I'm headed off to the Arctic very soon, and it's quite likely I won't get back until October. If sooner (late September), I have a particular Bighorn in mind  ;) Thus, I don't know if we'll be able to hook up then, but later for coho and/or steel sounds good. No elk in the forcast (as yet) but antelope and whitetails for sure, likely moose, so there will be something about to chow on.

NormFish: Come on down to Port in late September! 100 fish days are not all that uncommon when the hoes hit the flow! Really! It was extremely nice to pounce on them like that in the salt though, never having quite that much success out there on them before.

Tight Lines Folks!
Nog

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 04:57:10 PM »

Noggin, I was fishing with Salty near Swiftsure bank on July 31st and can concur you report. There were so many coho we had a hard time getting our spring gear down to depth before hitting another coho. They would even hit our spring lures as they were sitting on the surface before attaching them to the downrigger cable. As we were targeting springs, we just jigged a third 3.5" sting zilda in the prop wash and caught our limit of hatchery coho in about 30 minutes.

That day we landed 4 spring 15-25lb, 4 coho 8-10lb and and a 35lb hali. Couldn't have asked for a better way to conclude our Port Renfrew trip.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 05:29:46 PM »

Fish-On: aYup, the West Coast is ALIVE with salmon this year, FOR SURE! Sounds like you had a grand one! Right on!

NormFish: I will be off to the Arctic later this week through all of September. Rather unlikly this old thought-processing unit will remember anything (sometimers and all  ;)) BUT Mid-October likely is good as would be the second week thereof. The last week Oct I MUST be in Southern Alberta for the annual antelope hunt, and will NOT miss that. Please drop me a line towards the end of September, Flag it URGENT or IMPORTANT so I see it amongst the other 9,000 or so I'll have to sort through upon arrival back to the Hacienda, and I'll give you an update. Might just be able to squeeze you in for some Stamp River FUN!

Cheers,
Nog