Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New boat launch Abbotsford Fraser River ?  (Read 3475 times)

sumasriver

New boat launch Abbotsford Fraser River ?
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:09:56 PM »

New boat launch Abbotsford Fraser River ?

I read today in the Vancouver Sun that Abbotsford Parks is switching from Metro Van Parks to Fraser Valley Parks

and.....

Abby City wants to build a new boat launch on the Fraser  River

Anyone know what the site / location  would likely  be for this launch  ?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: New boat launch Abbotsford Fraser River ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:32:13 AM »

Havent heard about this but good for Abby City for recognizing the need for these types of facilities.
Our Province should be so ashamed for what they contribute to launches and boating/fishing accessability.
You would allmost think they would rather we werent here.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 07:17:06 AM »

I thought this boat launch was to be going in almost directly across from the Mission launch. Wasn't it TNT Thomas that broke this information several years ago?

I drove by Old Orchard launch on the weekend and you can't even call it a launch anymore. The gravel has really filled in the south side channel. Given the dead heads sticking up and how narrow the deepest channel has become, I won't even launch a 12' in there anymore. There definitely would not be any launch development there.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:22:19 AM by Rieber »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »

You would almost think they would rather we werent here

This part.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:53:12 PM »

I thought this boat launch was to be going in almost directly across from the Mission launch. Wasn't it TNT Thomas that broke this information several years ago?

I drove by Old Orchard launch on the weekend and you can't even call it a launch anymore. The gravel has really filled in the south side channel. Given the dead heads sticking up and how narrow the deepest channel has become, I won't even launch a 12' in there anymore. There definitely would not be any launch development there.

I drove by there a couple weeks ago and the entrance off the road was barricaded. Thought maybe it was done for good.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 08:25:09 PM »

That sounds promising. Usually the news is a boat launch is closing or some other reduction of boating related opportunities. I can only imagine the type of reception you would get if you proposed a new boat launch to say, the Vancouver Parks Board.

Web link for anyone interested

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/abbotsford-one-step-closer-to-withdrawing-from-metro-vancouver-parks

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 10:29:48 AM »

Rich people have private marina/moorage/yacht clubs.  The same people are at the influential levels in local and provincial governments.

What better way to limit boat traffic in front of their houses and in the local waterways than eliminating public boat launches.