Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River  (Read 10244 times)

iblly

• Old Timer
Chehalis River
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:02:22 AM »

Has anyone heard anything about Chehalis as far as car break ins ? Haven't been there in a few years, it was bad for a while I remember. Thinking of going next week.

Jk47

Re: Chehalis River
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 06:43:51 AM »

Park at the hatchery and you’ll be fine   ;)

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:53:52 PM »

Jk47 inside the gate u may be fine agree but if u are there early that's the worst spot out on road. Parking at the river is now screwed with the privatization of the campground on upriver side of bridge. Best place is by the permanent trailer in the campground.

Jk47

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 05:51:27 PM »

Guess I’ve been lucky the couple times I’ve parked out front of the hatchery on the road in the early a.m.
otherwise yes I park inside the gates if I go during the day and plan on being out before closing time.

Shinny

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:44:10 PM »

You can still park on the right side before the bridge. Parked there lots no issus, I think it’s fine. Inside the campground is good obviously but sometimes there isn’t any parking. The gate to the group camping site on the other side of the bridge is now locked and that was a terrible place to park anyways. I used to park on the left side before the bridge in that camping area but I parked up close to the main road. Then I got a bs handwritten ticket from the campground saying if I park here again I will have to pay for a night of camping or be towed.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 12:53:44 AM »

Gate closed on the other side of the bridge and new garbage campsites at the old day use parking lot before the bridge on the left.  ::)

Only a matter of time before someone gets wiped out and killed putting waders on along side the shoulder of the road by the bridge!

What’s with the sawmill in the campsite now? Nice logging going on in there! What a joke!

I hope the river one day blows out that sad state of a camp ground and its squatters!

Sorry for the rant but this has been pissing me off for awhile now!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:58:28 AM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

joshhowat

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:19 AM »

Yup the parking has gone the way of the river.

Crap runs all round springs, coho, steelhead and the long gone big cutties.

Sad was my favourite place to fish.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

John Revolver

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »

Total a complete iisht  show now

I grew up camping and fishing on that north side group camp area since the early 90s.  I loved LOVED that area and its pictured in my avatar photo.

Up untill last year we would book out that entire site and have huge weekend annual camping trips with all of our friends. We booked that site 9 years in a row and was devastated to learn it is now completely shut down and closed off.

The overall management  of the entire site over the last 3-4 years has been downright F8cking disgusting.   >:(

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »

all above comments are true,  ive tried my best to get things changed for many years but run into DFO blocks,  last year I had a good solution to fishing issues and it didn't get supported by habitat division , working on another attempt to rectify the terrible fishing . Like ghost says steelhead summer and winter?? summer reds??? cutties??   been pretty piss poor for all these,,,,coho been declining so much recently that I may add that to the previous 3 within a year or so. Now they close off the parking lot?? If this river was the vedder all the above issues would have been rectified immediately however the Chehalis will remain what it is for now,...

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 02:45:32 PM »

all above comments are true,  ive tried my best to get things changed for many years but run into DFO blocks,  last year I had a good solution to fishing issues and it didn't get supported by habitat division , working on another attempt to rectify the terrible fishing . Like ghost says steelhead summer and winter?? summer reds??? cutties??   been pretty piss poor for all these,,,,coho been declining so much recently that I may add that to the previous 3 within a year or so. Now they close off the parking lot?? If this river was the vedder all the above issues would have been rectified immediately however the Chehalis will remain what it is for now,...

Maybe help for the fish recovery.

Shinny

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 02:58:28 PM »

Total a complete iisht  show now

I grew up camping and fishing on that north side group camp area since the early 90s.  I loved LOVED that area and its pictured in my avatar photo.

Up untill last year we would book out that entire site and have huge weekend annual camping trips with all of our friends. We booked that site 9 years in a row and was devastated to learn it is now completely shut down and closed off.

The overall management  of the entire site over the last 3-4 years has been downright F8cking disgusting.   >:(

I camp there during coho season for a few days each year. I can’t comment on the group camping site but I thought the regular camping site was good. Drive on in, pick a site by the river and pay $15. Outhouses were as clean as could be expected, quiet place for the most part,  clean. Met another couple guys that were fishing and shared some rye and stories. The woman that was running it this fall was sweeping sites and cleaning up all the time..keeping busy. The guy that was there last fall (2016 fall) was a goof... but the  sites were still nice. The ghetto sawmill was disappointing to see but the camping itself is nice I thought.

Catching a coho at first light and having the full on camping breakfast  by noon ain’t bad. Maybe a nap perhaps then back out for the evening bite.

I do agree though that the fishing has been terrible this past year. Pools that you could spot many coho previous years had almost none this year. Tough fishing lots of days... I haven’t seen any steel nor spoken to anyone who has touched one this season. If it wasn’t so damn nice i probably wouldn’t keep going back. At least I can guarantee myself nice scenery and some solitude, but not a fish anymore.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:04:00 PM by Shinny »

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 07:42:38 PM »

Thanks for the input guys, I think  :-\  Haven't fished there in about 7 years. Sounds like a lot has changed and the fishing is dismal. I'll give er a go anyway. Cheers.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 06:08:57 AM »

The 30 continous days of beach seine netting are taking their toll. This DFO sanctioned commercial FN fishery is killing the fall fishery on the whole Harrison River and every trib. I have witnessed this decline in its entirety. You take away the Chums and pinks and you kill the system, they are the fertilizer for every fish in the sysytem.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

mikeyman

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 10:08:39 AM »

I only went to the chehalis 2x last fall for coho. Great water conditions. No fish moving at all. No bites no fish. In the past we would always get fish. Using good roe. Just void of fish. Right after the rain a quick push. Then nothing inbetween. Sad.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 10:34:41 AM »

Wow. Sad. My dad and I used to load on coho there. Never had much trouble getting a steelhead either