Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Journal For The Boxing Day Steelhead Derby  (Read 2683 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
My Journal For The Boxing Day Steelhead Derby
« on: January 06, 2018, 12:40:50 PM »

For many years I covered this derby for the Chilliwack Progress. This year I had the writer's itch so send them the story a week ago. To date they may have been short of pages so have not run it so will share it here for those that would like to read the story I wrote. Thanks to my wife for doing the edit for me.

Annual Boxing Day Steelhead Derby Sees Few Fish Landed
By Chris Gadsden
Chilliwack Progress Contributor

The 175 steelhead anglers that showed up on derby day were greeted by ideal fishing conditions, though a bit cool. Of course cold weather and steelhead fishing go together, and these steelhead anglers are a hardy bunch of fishers.
This year, due to the reconstruction of the Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association clubhouse, the derby had been canceled.
However, Fred Helmer Jr. and Wally Hall got together, and in short notice put the derby back on. The derby goes back 74 years when it was first won by Carl Wilson.
This was a bonus fishing day for the steelhead anglers as it was run in conjunction will the Annual Wally Hall Jr. Memorial Steelhead derby that runs from December 1 to March 15. Those that entered that derby could participate in the Boxing Day derby as well.

Jeff Bonner put his facility, Tractorgrease Cafe, up for the weigh-in station. It was a great spot to be with a warm fire and good eats which made it a great place for the organizers and derby participants to gather.

For a while it looked like no fish would hit the scales, but at about 15 minutes before the derby closed at 2:00 p.m., three fish came in a few minutes apart.

Valdy Widera from Surrey had the first fish weighed in. He had the King Fish as well, with a 6.905 pound fish, and got the boasting rights for the 2017 edition of the derby.

"I have entered the derby several times over the years and was happy to be able to bring one in this year," Widera said, as his steelhead was being weighed in by weighmaster Paul Dulong. Widera added, "I hooked the steelhead in the lower part of the Vedder River on a shrimp and pink wool combination.”

A minute after Widera’s steelhead was put on the derby board, Mike Rodgers arrived with the second fish, but it fell a half pound short of the winning fish as the scales registered 6.347 pounds.

With a minute to spare the third and final steelhead fish was brought in by Chilliwack resident Ryan Hutchinson. It weighed 6.26 pounds; good for third place.

Widera won a custom-built Lamiglas Custom Rod with a value of $800 which was donated by Fred Helmer. Rodgers and Hutchinson also won fishing rods. 10 other lucky derby participants won prizes by a draw system.

Helmer was pleased the way the derby went, “we put the derby together on short notice due to the work at the Fish and Game clubhouse and with cooperation of Paul Dulong from the club as well it was a great day being able to keep the tradition of the derby going.” “Besides the hatchery fish we heard of numerous wild fish landed and released which is good news as wild fish are important to the future” Helmer added.( Only steelhead with an adipose fin clip can be retained by anglers.)
Wally Hall said at the conclusion of the derby, “ We were happy we got the derby going on such short notice. Even though it was with a bit scary with no fish coming in until the last 15 minutes of the derby then with two more coming in with 3 minutes left.”
Hall added,”through the Wally Hall Jr. Memorial Steelhead Derby, that is now in its 18th year we have, over the last 3 years, have been able to contribute $30,000 back to the river through the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition for restoration work on the Chilliwack Vedder River.”

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: My Journal For The Boxing Day Steelhead Derby
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 03:05:34 PM »

Thanks Chris! Like like like!!!!

Blackrt03

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 06:42:49 PM »

Nice job Chris!

bigsnag

• Old Timer