Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Landing nets  (Read 4271 times)

sugartooth

Landing nets
« on: January 02, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »

I’m looking at buying a landing net for my river fishing as most of the time I’m solo. The net would be used for steelhead and coho. So for those of you that do carry a net which brand/model do you use and how do you carry it?  Do you use a magnetic lanyard? Wading belt holster? Other options?
Thanks

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Landing nets
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 02:29:20 PM »

Whats your budget?  The fishpond nomad in the largest size may be the best choice.  You need a bigger net for Steelies and Salmon and wood nets tend to get a bit heavy in the larger sizes.  I bought a magnetic lanyard at wholesale sports right before they closed.  Was 70% off so about 10 bucks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 02:31:53 PM »

I use the one on the left in this link:

http://gibbsdelta.com/catch-release-trout-nets

Almost 20 years now... It's light, extendable, bomb proof... I use it for coho and steelhead.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 03:55:59 PM »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 06:00:23 PM »

Might want to look at a Moby steelhead.,Big basket, and short handle length is perfect for solo walk and wade.  Any net over 4 feet becomes a bit of a pain to bushwack and carry by yourself for quick use.

Magnets work well, one on the hoop so you can orient the handle how you wish.   I also have used a retractor, which i prefer as you can always put the net back where it was by letting go if the fish wasnt ready, while with a magnet you then have to drop the net.  Only issue with the steelhead is a retractor might not handle the weight of the net, and definetly wont if it has a rubberized basket.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:02:19 PM by clarkii »

Jk47

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 08:52:15 PM »

I tail all my steelhead cuz I can’t be bothered to pack a huge net around with me all day for the slim chance I may actually hook and land one  ;D
Also, I’ve found Steelhead extremely easy to tail. Coho, on the other hand, are slippery shifty little buggers and it IS really nice to have a net.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »

Whoops, noticed this was for steelheading.  I tend to not read thoroughly...

Still a good net, and telescopic.

eager_rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 05:17:09 PM »

I use a Rushton Landing Cradle. (http://www.rushtonlandingnets.com/net_cradles.htm). They're expensive, but I do a ton of bushwhacking and boot time, and they roll up tight and are easy to land fish solo with. Just lay it down in the river, sweep the fish over it and scoop up the net. I have used other nets but always find I stop using them because they're just such a pain to carry. It was sort of like that saying about PFDs-- "the best PFD is the one you wear" or whatever. The cradle works for me because it's so easy to carry and so easy to net fish solo. Worth the price cause I actually use it, unlike the basket nets I own that are now sitting unused in the garage.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 06:47:56 PM »

White river net from Bass pro.