Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squid fishery feasibility?  (Read 15252 times)

obie1fish

Squid fishery feasibility?
« on: December 10, 2017, 05:32:15 PM »

I was in Everett this weekend, spending time with my missus, and, as "luck" would have it, managed to spend some time talking with the proprietors there. With the fisheries in that area having such low returns and high numbers of closures, they were saying that the vast majority of their sales in the last while were fishermen going for squid. The more popular spots on shore regularly have 200+ people lined up with their jigs. Besides myself, every person who came into Ted's Tackle was looking for squid jigs.

My question is, do we have any places around the south coast where squid are targeted this way?

Jk47

Re: Squid fishery feasibility?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 06:02:08 AM »

Oh c’mon, you gotta be squiddin me!!
Sorry, I HAD to  8)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »

I have never heard tell of a squid fishery on the BC south coast (either LML or VI). If there is one, it would seem that it is local knowledge and not widely known.

Your question intrigued me so I did a bit of reading online. The annual squid migration is from the Pacific Ocean to inland spawning areas. The map on this webpage shows how the migration progresses along the south shore of Juan de Fuca to South Puget Sound. http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/squid/howto_fish.html

There is also a summer migration in the Victoria area, and a winter migration in Georgia Straight, where they congregate in shallow inlets and bays to spawn. http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas/Csas/status/1999/C6-04e.pdf
If there is a squid fishery along southern Vancouver Island, Georgia Straight, or the Gulf Islands,  it appears to be kept on the QT. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:54:43 AM by clarki »

kanuckle head

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »

Learned some techniques and locations here

http://www.squidfish.net/forums/index.php?/forum/17-west-coast/

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »

Learned some techniques and locations here
 http://www.squidfish.net/forums/index.php?/forum/17-west-coast/

I saw that site earlier as well, however per the OP's question, there is no meaningful information re a recreational fishery in BC waters.

Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »

That would be an interesting thing to fish for!
I've been kinda hoping to catch an octopus as my lady loves the taste, but have no idea of how to dispatch it quickly, humanely, and gentlemanly. The quick bit of research I did just led me to a Kiwi biting the face off one  :P

https://youtu.be/KhCWrJzgb8Q
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:21:33 PM »

I have seen squid jigging of the docks in ucluelet. a few years ago.

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »

I havent personnely fished for squid, but I have heard of people fishing for them around southern Vancouver Island. It seems to be dependdent on the time of year, and I think they are more active at night.

losos

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »

Try Humboldt squid fishing. There is sizable,apparently, population here . These animals are very curious and love to cuddle with humans ;)

mesmer25

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 10:21:37 AM »

I have caught a Pacific Staghorn Sculpin with a whole market squid in its mouth off Cates Park last year, at first light. Squid must be around, haven't seen any anglers actively targeting squid tho.

Silex-user

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 05:53:46 PM »

I thought I gave little bit  my experiences in catching these squids. I happen to live both side of border and have pleasure in fishing for these delicious little squids off the pier in Dash Point Washington State. The legal angling way for these squids is you are allow to use up to 4 squid jigs which have about 8-10 barbless wire hooks per jig. The jigs are about 2"-3" in length and I recommend the ones with extra glow jig. I usually rigged 2 jigs on my main line which has less chance of tangling. You just basically lower the jigs to bottom and reel back up about 6-12" and just jigged up and down. Many times I caught up to 2 squids which wrap their tentacles around the jigs. I seen some lucky fisherman caught up to 4 per 2 jigs at once.

I have limit out once and limit is 10 lbs. I Borrowed an fellow fisherman hand held scale to weighted my pail with squids.  I found different colour jigs works great on one day and next time it slow. It best to buy different colour of jigs. My basic setup is my old 25 plus year old Berkley 10' 6"steelhead drift rod and old Ambassadeur Five (saltwater) baitcasting reel no longer make.

Season is from October to Jan. I being catching them during morning and sometimes afternoon. Some fisherman comes out during night to fish for them and use a little gas generator to power their flood lights to shine into the water. Thats what the guys at Sportco sporting good store (Fife) told me.

It does get busy on the weekend and rubbing shoulder to shoulder is the norm and I did once and that last time. I found the fisherperson gals and guys are quite friendly because I think it is that everybody are catching them.

Now catching winter steelhead in Washington state is different story. More fish and million drift boats. I save that stories another time. ;D

Silex user

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 08:18:45 PM »

My question is, do we have any places around the south coast where squid are targeted this way?

I have caught a Pacific Staghorn Sculpin with a whole market squid in its mouth off Cates Park last year, at first light. Squid must be around, haven't seen any anglers actively targeting squid tho.

That is some solid local intel from Mesmer. Based on what I have read about timing and techniques, if the Cates Park Pier has a light source, doing some exploratory jigging there right now would be a good place as any to start (local tidal regulations permitting, of course).

mesmer25

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »

That is some solid local intel from Mesmer. Based on what I have read about timing and techniques, if the Cates Park Pier has a light source, doing some exploratory jigging there right now would be a good place as any to start (local tidal regulations permitting, of course).

Cates Park does not have any light sources on the pier with the exception of a few solar LEDs. fastened to the dock.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »

Just got back from my trip to Florida. Their numerous long fishing piers equipped with amble lighting at night just put our local tiny piers to shame.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »

Yeah, when fishing is encouraged and access is provided, along comes increased advocacy from the grass roots participant level.

Most governments get that, ours does not.  We still have wetlands today basically because of Ducks Unlimited.  Hunters lobbying governments for habitat protection and restoration.

Don't even get me started on boat launches...