Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: regulation question  (Read 4220 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
regulation question
« on: December 02, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »

i have a questions about a regulation for the coquihalla river. was planning a trip tomorrow and would like to try a new system i have not fished before. targeting bull trout. all fished will be catch and release with a net to avoid harm using trout beads. the regulation in question is "Upstream of the northern entrance to the upper most railway tunnel: (a) No Fishing Nov 1 - June 30; (b) Fly fishing only and bait ban". is this the last tunnel at othello or a different one?. aprrox how far up the river is this. i have searched for about an hour and cannot find the answer i seek and rather ask them go in blind and break a regulation i am asking for clarification. thanks

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: regulation question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:11:03 PM »

if people rather email than talk in an internet forum my email is chompy6@hotmail.com

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 10:32:33 PM »

Coquihalla river is closed now. Meanwhile, you won't catch bull trout there either.

salmonrook

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 12:13:07 AM »

The Coquihalla is a sorry story of how the development of the hwy and the transmountain pipeline ruined the river forever.
 I remember going there as a kid  and camping on the banks of the river.Beautiful spot. We would fish, catching rainbow trout.My friends 2 uncles would fish everyday and would catch trout and when lucky Steelhead.
 The development and paving of the Coq was rushed because it had to be open for EXPO 86 .This included the rerouting of the river in several places. This and the placement of the pipeline for Transmountain  severely changed the river forever . They are maps available online, if you examine them, Transmountain actually owns a large swath of land beside the river, in some cases, displacing its path. This was back in the day when the environment was not really a big issue.
 Unfortunately this changed the river forever, along with the increased vehicle traffic and access.What was once a great river to fish close to the LM has all but become devoid of fish.The river has become catch and release , to sustain the small population that still survives.
 My reading of the regs is that its only open for summer flyfishing.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:43:57 AM by salmonrook »

firebird

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 02:16:26 AM »

There is a small map on the bottom of page 23 of the 2017-2019 BC Fishing Regulations Synopsis showing the location of the lower and upper tunnels on the Coquihalla River in relation to landmarks. As of Nov 1, the river is open to angling (bait ban, trout/char and salmon release) downstream of the downstream entrance to the lower tunnel (i.e. from the mouth up to the downstream entrance to the lower tunnel).

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_region2.pdf

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 08:38:20 AM »

i have a questions about a regulation for the coquihalla river. was planning a trip tomorrow and would like to try a new system i have not fished before. targeting bull trout. all fished will be catch and release with a net to avoid harm using trout beads. the regulation in question is "Upstream of the northern entrance to the upper most railway tunnel: (a) No Fishing Nov 1 - June 30; (b) Fly fishing only and bait ban". is this the last tunnel at othello or a different one?. aprrox how far up the river is this. i have searched for about an hour and cannot find the answer i seek and rather ask them go in blind and break a regulation i am asking for clarification. thanks

the tunnels are in the box canyon. There is a park there. I wouldn't advise scrambling into the canyon particularly this time of year.

Map link: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Othello+Tunnels/@49.3915113,-121.3785941,13.5z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xb473d4042e968dfc!8m2!3d49.3778047!4d-121.3695288

BTW any 'trout' caught in the river above the canyon were probably steelhead smolts and in the past there has been an issue with tourists harvesting these. I wish those informal summer RV camps on the river were shut down.

Also should mention that a couple of years ago a rock slide in the canyon caused a near impassable blockage. Many fish were moved by volunteers etc as only about 1 in 10 got over. There were plans to blast a portion out but I don't know if this has happened.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:42:25 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:52:51 AM »

Just to clarify, the The box canyon referred to by Ralph is the one just outside hope and not the box canyon chain up area below the snowshed!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »

I did include a link to a map which makes that part of the location clear. By all means fish in the box canyon by the snow shed where there will be no fish. (ha ha)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firebird

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 05:11:06 PM »

BTW any 'trout' caught in the river above the canyon were probably steelhead smolts and in the past there has been an issue with tourists harvesting these. I wish those informal summer RV camps on the river were shut down.

I agree with this 100%. I think a lot of the camping is done on right-of-ways. Not only do they fish illegally but they leave unbelievable messes behind.

Also should mention that a couple of years ago a rock slide in the canyon caused a near impassable blockage. Many fish were moved by volunteers etc as only about 1 in 10 got over. There were plans to blast a portion out but I don't know if this has happened.

https://www.gofishbc.com/Blog/Science-and-Research/Coquihalla-Calling-Dynamite-to-the-rescue-for-a-s.aspx
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:30:37 PM by firebird »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 06:44:27 PM »

thanks for all of the reply's. now i know where the boundary is. was not sure so i decided to go somewhere else. i have driven past that river alot on my way to fish still water but always wanted to fish it. hopefully with the recent habitat restoration that fire bird posted it will return to its former glory and be able to handle an opening or two.

we did manage a few bulls in a different water shed. was a beautiful december day.