Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions  (Read 131641 times)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions
« Reply #390 on: March 28, 2018, 11:19:10 PM »

That’s twice on the past 6 months.

Don’t go making this a habit or anything 😀
LMAO
It ain't the roe bro'

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #391 on: April 07, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »

Anyone have any info on what the water looks like? Was hoping to make it out tomorrow for the last time this season but the weather's not doing a good job of cooperating. Any visibility?

yoda

« Reply #392 on: April 07, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »

so was out on the flow yesterday afternoon lower river. saw a few risers. There are a lot of fry swimming around, as well as steelhead probably
pairing up in the lower end. OBSERVE AND RECORD. To the shock of the three of us in this particular run, A silver jet boat went screaming
up river right through all the water and watched as it blew up through each tailout. These are the same guys as the last couple of years.
 they usually go up past vedder crossing and then turn around. They also did this at 7:15p.m. Jet boat had no markings, but being they were on their joy ride, I snapped a picture of the only truck and trailer at the barrowtown boat launch. Truck was a Super Duty Ford,
Licence plate#LG 6593  My biggest concern was the impact on the fry and steelhead. The other was for the safety of the people and anglers out there. They washed out every run they went through.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #393 on: April 07, 2018, 01:39:29 PM »

Last summer I watched a jet boat chase a family of mergansers up the river ... disgusting show of humanity. Sadly, jet boating on the Vedder is legal.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #394 on: April 07, 2018, 05:06:34 PM »

so was out on the flow yesterday afternoon lower river. saw a few risers. There are a lot of fry swimming around, as well as steelhead probably
pairing up in the lower end. OBSERVE AND RECORD. To the shock of the three of us in this particular run, A silver jet boat went screaming
up river right through all the water and watched as it blew up through each tailout. These are the same guys as the last couple of years.
 they usually go up past vedder crossing and then turn around. They also did this at 7:15p.m. Jet boat had no markings, but being they were on their joy ride, I snapped a picture of the only truck and trailer at the barrowtown boat launch. Truck was a Super Duty Ford,
Licence plate#LG 6593  My biggest concern was the impact on the fry and steelhead. The other was for the safety of the people and anglers out there. They washed out every run they went through.
Disgusting behaviour.

Jk47

« Reply #395 on: April 07, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »

Agreed. There needs to be a "no power boat" put in effect at the bottom of the canal or say, KWB .... If not for the fish and habitat, then at least for the safety of all users. This is nonsense. I know this has been covered in previous threads extensively.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #396 on: April 08, 2018, 09:16:58 PM »

I made the drive out to Chillwack today to go fishing. Weather turned out fine, just a bit of rain here and there. Warmed up too, forgot what it was like to feel my fingers and toes while fishing. Water levels on the hydrograph were about 1.80m and heading slightly down after a big spike last night. Visibility was about 2 feet. While not ideal, it still felt fishable and worth the drive.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #397 on: April 09, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »

I fished lower section yesterday morning. Low water, 2 feet clarity. Very few people.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #398 on: April 09, 2018, 04:54:49 PM »

Water has come up. Still on the lower side. Clarity was around 2 feet in the middle river. Abit better in the upper. Lots of cars at Wilson Rd and Prison camp. I avoid the crowds and found myself fishing alone for the few hrs I was out. Very pleasant day to be out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #399 on: April 10, 2018, 12:30:01 AM »

Popped down to the river finally for the first time this season last week and again yesterday, some great April fishing to be had... Managed to connect and land four. Conditions have been great IMO. Lower visibility is giving them more cover. Hopefully the heavy rain in the forecast doesn't ruin it.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #400 on: April 10, 2018, 09:59:28 AM »

Good on you Rod. I did not get any bites for my efforts yesterday. Have to try the spot where I saw your truck parked. Lol.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #401 on: April 10, 2018, 04:38:45 PM »

Popped down to the river finally for the first time this season last week and again yesterday, some great April fishing to be had... Managed to connect and land four. Conditions have been great IMO. Lower visibility is giving them more cover. Hopefully the heavy rain in the forecast doesn't ruin it.

Unfair

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #402 on: April 10, 2018, 05:44:19 PM »

Wow, that doe is chrome! Good on ya Rod.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #403 on: April 11, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »

Unfair

Not really, the fish are there for everyone to catch.

River level bumped up slightly yesterday because of rain. Water clarity was still fishable last night, and should be better today with drier weather and hydrograph is showing the level on the drop. Short outing last night after supper, hooked two and landed one of them, wild doe roughly between 8 and 10lb.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #404 on: April 12, 2018, 10:47:21 AM »

Getting a bit more steelheading in before all the lake filming trips start soon...

River is still a bit on the high side but totally fishy.