Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River Current Slides because of the Current High Water.  (Read 6128 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I am working on the video's I filmed at some of the clay slides, here is the Slesse slide it has had some slumping over the years but is not in bad shape. More videos of the other slides that explain things as I upload them, stay tuned. Actually my remarks in this video the river did not look to bad, actually it is as you will see in the videos of the slides above this one. https://youtu.be/IU2x3Iblcp0.

I think we are going to have some tough fishing once again. I have pictures on my FB page or on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB if you wish to check them out.

Residents have lost  some land because of the shift in the river bed. More videos later for your information.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River Current Slides because of the Current High Water.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »

Another video i filmed. https://youtu.be/RGf-JEy3ZSw

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 11:21:18 AM »

Another video i filmed. https://youtu.be/RGf-JEy3ZSw

excuse my ignorance Chris but im just not seeing what you are so concerned about. This looks like normal river erosion. There is no giant mountain that its trying to carve into. It looks like the river is trying to create a larger flat flood plain. Would this not create more channels in the future that smolts can hide in and salmon can spawn in Or would you prefer giant Riprap embankments on either side, That give migrating salmon no where to rest or hide?

Your video of the Slesse slide from years ago is enormous compared to this and was a huge slide that came down mountain into the river that blocked off the river. https://v-g-s.squarespace.com/s/1999-6-Failure-Mechanism-and-Behavior-of-a-Large-Landslide-in-Glacio-Lacustrine-Silts-and-Clays-Flet.PDF

Are we not comparing to different things here? Is this section at a toe of the mountain that if undermined by the river could result in another large slide?

The video is just a bunch of incoherent mumbling and I am trying to understand the issue at hand.

Does the city of Chillwack need to send a Geotechnical engineer out there immediately to assess the slope.  Could this fail and result in the river being dammed and a mass flood event? Do we all need to immediately write the city so they can send someone out?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:26:23 AM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »

It is being looked into by the FVRD and when people lose land it is a bit concerning to them and would be to us as well. I thought by watching the video I produced 20 years ago you would have got a better understanding of the issues.

You can always go up there and look at them yourself and report back what you see via video and pictures.

These slides will effect the fishing this winter during rainy periods, mark my word. Not sure the impact it will have on the eggs laid in the redds.

There is other slides that have opened up but we have not checked them out.

Sorry for the mumbling and we look forward to a better report from you than I did. Maybe it was the heavy rain and my age that made me mumble. :P ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:45:39 PM by chris gadsden »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »

Thanks Grandpa Chris.

To many water ways between where I live and the wack that I devote my time too.

Just thought I’f there was a concern that I could help with in a letter writing campaign I would.

fyrslyer

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »

It is being looked into by the FVRD and when people lose land it is a bit concerning to them and would be to us as well.

I never have sympathy for people who buy land next to a river and they proceed to lose land, everyone needs to make smart choices in their life.

Very similar to every year during fraser river freshet in Chilliwack, people who bought a house or land on the wrong side of the city dyke are begging for money and resources to help them during high water season, hmmm I wonder why your home was hundreds of thousands below market value to start with when you bought it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 05:37:36 PM »

It is being looked into by the FVRD and when people lose land it is a bit concerning to them and would be to us as well.

I never have sympathy for people who buy land next to a river and they proceed to lose land, everyone needs to make smart choices in their life.

Very similar to every year during fraser river freshet in Chilliwack, people who bought a house or land on the wrong side of the city dyke are begging for money and resources to help them during high water season, hmmm I wonder why your home was hundreds of thousands below market value to start with when you bought it.
We in Chilliwack in the Valley floor are in the flood plain too. That is why I always have a boat handy.

Of course with climate change parts of the lower mainland, Richmond, Ladner etc. will be flooded in the years ahead. Of course an earthquake would be serious too.

I can see boat sales soon to soar. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 05:39:55 PM »

Thanks Grandpa Chris.

To many water ways between where I live and the wack that I devote my time too.

Just thought I’f there was a concern that I could help with in a letter writing campaign I would.
I will keep you posted if this is required. The FVSS is going to meet with the FVRD soon to discuss the matter. Thanks for your offer too.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 05:44:28 PM »

More mumbling from yours truly. This is another view of the slide in the link on a post above.https://youtu.be/bONe7qHijos

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 04:35:50 AM »

The Tolmie, heavy rain caused this poor vid. :-X https://youtu.be/DfGlD-Un5Ag

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »

excuse my ignorance Chris but im just not seeing what you are so concerned about. This looks like normal river erosion. There is no giant mountain that its trying to carve into. It looks like the river is trying to create a larger flat flood plain. Would this not create more channels in the future that smolts can hide in and salmon can spawn in Or would you prefer giant Riprap embankments on either side, That give migrating salmon no where to rest or hide?

Your video of the Slesse slide from years ago is enormous compared to this and was a huge slide that came down mountain into the river that blocked off the river. https://v-g-s.squarespace.com/s/1999-6-Failure-Mechanism-and-Behavior-of-a-Large-Landslide-in-Glacio-Lacustrine-Silts-and-Clays-Flet.PDF

Are we not comparing to different things here? Is this section at a toe of the mountain that if undermined by the river could result in another large slide?

The video is just a bunch of incoherent mumbling and I am trying to understand the issue at hand.

Does the city of Chillwack need to send a Geotechnical engineer out there immediately to assess the slope.  Could this fail and result in the river being dammed and a mass flood event? Do we all need to immediately write the city so they can send someone out?
Seethe remarks on river conditions tread as I said in the above posts how bad the clay slides would effect the river this steelhead season. Only some cold weather will make the river fishable.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »

My comments were based on the salmon health and the slope stability not fishing conditions. Also on your comparison between the two slides.

I forone don’t think the vedder needs to be fished 365 days a year. If the river is unfishable and the salmon are in good health then right on.

I’d be shocked tho if there is no anglers out their floggging it this weekend.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:27:16 PM by wildmanyeah »

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 11:13:23 PM »

wildmanyeah do not fish for steel :P
It ain't the roe bro'

avid angler

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 01:16:40 AM »

wildmanyeah is like the posterboy for people that don't have any experience in certain fisheries that still feel the need to express their opinion

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »

wildmanyeah is like the posterboy for people that don't have any experience in certain fisheries that still feel the need to express their opinion

I have the same sentiment about summer fishery’s. I personally think they should do 1 week on 1 week off fisheries in rivers. Sports fishermen do a lot more damage to stocks then we think. If I agreed with guys on SFBC forum there would be no in river fisheries at all witch I don’t.

Yes I know the vedder is a put and take fishery blablabla.....and frankly I don’t think a little clay is going to stop if from being hammered all winter.

Yo all getting your panties in a knot for no reason