Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rusty lures  (Read 4885 times)

KarateKick

Rusty lures
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:05:06 PM »

It's that time of year again when I see a lot of rust on our metal lures.

Do you guys dry up your lures after every trip to the river?  I am always exhausted after a day out with the kids, and I don't want to even look at the tackle box for a couple of days.

How do you prevent rust on dressed hooks?  Marabou feathers soak up a lot of water and takes forever to dry.

What do you do with lures that do get rusty?  I've try immersing them in white vinegar, with limited success.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Rusty lures
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »

No matter how tired I get, I'll always take the time to clean and dry all of my equipment along with my wading outfit. Rust is the one thing that can ruin the integrity of your tackle and like mold can spread to other hardware. To boot, rust on a lure can deter a fish from biting.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »

My dad is crazy strict about flushing all the gear out and drying after every outing. This also includes reels, rods, ect..

If you are super busy and lazy like me be prepared to just replace the gear, tho I find that i loose my spoons faster to snags ect...

I have recently started when i come back from trips to leave my pack open in the passenger floor, turn on the foot heating and it seems to dry it out nicely.

96XJ

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »

No matter how tired I get, I'll always take the time to clean and dry all of my equipment along with my wading outfit. Rust is the one thing that can ruin the integrity of your tackle and like mold can spread to other hardware. To boot, rust on a lure can deter a fish from biting.

I'm the same way , rinsing and drying the lures i use that day - i usually have a ziploc with me that i put any lures i use that day into so i don't have to clean them all - and i hang all my gear up to dry , just another part of the fishers day  ;)

Hate surprises the next day

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 05:22:06 PM »

I give my lures (particularly ones I use in saltwater) a wipe on my shirtsleeve before putting away, That helps.

Also I've just started putting the little packages of dessicant, that come in some foods, into my lure boxes. Have just started that so no results to report yet.

I haven't tried to remove rust, but to remove the tarnish on lures, I used Brasso metal polisher. Tootpaste and an old tooth brush works well too.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:41:51 PM »

I leave my tackle box open after a day of fishing and things seems to dry out fine. If I've got some soggy jigs then I'll rinse then, squeeze them in a paper towel, then lay them out on a paper towel to dry. Nothing too onerous but it's kept the rust away so far :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »

I'm the same way , rinsing and drying the lures i use that day - i usually have a ziploc with me that i put any lures i use that day into so i don't have to clean them all - and i hang all my gear up to dry , just another part of the fishers day  ;)

Hate surprises the next day

Same.

hammer

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »

I have a table in my garage that I leave stuff out on...boxes open. I always hose off my gear if beach fishing, or fishing in salt, or brackish. Freshwater, I always hang up my stuff... for lures. I tend to los lures before they rust...but I do have a few rusty ones. Has anyone tried CLR? I have used brasso type products with okay success.
I would not let my kids near that stuff though.

santefe

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 10:25:10 PM »

When fishing in salt water I always wash everything down with fresh water and let dry.
Any sign of rust on the hooks and they are discarded.
I have used CLR on lures, learned to watch carefully and do not leave lure in  CLR too long as it dulled some of the bright finish.
Also use the coloured tape, usually the red to apply to bottom side of lures such as a Kitamat when the paint starts to wear off.

sbc hris

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 09:18:17 AM »

If I have a damp tackle/fly box after a day of fishing, I always open it up and leave it on a table until dry. But this thread just reminded me, I didn’t dry out my jig box after Saturday!!! :o
I know what I’m doing as soon as I get home ::)

As for the ones that do get rusty, so long as they’re not too far gone; I just replace the hook and try to polish the lure a bit. I like the idea of adding coloured tape too!

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 05:11:46 AM »

I always wash my jigs in some sudsy water then run under tap then hang dry in front of a fan on low. They will be good as new in morning, never rust. As for rusty hooks on lures, if possible I replace them with new hooks. I try and never store spinners or spoons wet, ever.
If you have a rusted out jig hook then probably that jig is headed for the garbage bin. Just always hang your jigs to dry at days end.
This is why I keep jigs in the small bags they come in and only remove to fish, I am not a fan of putting them all in a case as I've had a whole case of jigs ruined by getting them wet in the case and not drying them. The colors all bleed together and the whole case of them gets wrecked.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Jk47

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »

One of the reasons I quit spin-casting. Was getting sick of all the rust, let alone all the $ I was spending on tackle. Plus I was feeling I was getting more fish on flies. Now I fish two ways only, 1: Fly (I can tie most of the flies I tie for about 20-30 cents I figure, so it doesn’t kill me to discard/lose a fly like when you snag and lose a brand new $4-5 lure).
And 2: C.P: The odd time I fish a blade under my float but never have a problem with rust in this situation as most blades are a higher grade stainless steel. And I don’t use jigs that often because I don’t like dealing with drying them out, so usually it’s just a rubber worm on a hook I’m Steelheading with or roe or shrimp. These 3 have been my top producers for steel, with rubber worm being #1...if it ain’t broke, why fix it?