Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which new CP rod?  (Read 12553 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Which new CP rod?
« on: November 27, 2017, 12:15:01 AM »

Thinking of buying (yet another) fishing rod. A center pin rod. In my defense I only own two. The first is an old (like 30 years old) Lamiglass 10'6, 9wt, fly rod that was built up as a CP rod. Father in law gave it to me last year as it had not been fished for many moons and I was looking for my 1st CP rod. Nice super light rod. A blast on salmon up to 10lbs in slow-moderate water. Pretty underpowered on anything over 10lbs esp in water with a bit of flow to it.

2nd rod I bought used off this site recently. Fenwick HMX, 10'6, moderate power, 10-20 line rating. Love this rod! Nice action when casting and playing a fish, not too heavy, nice ergonomic reel seat that allows your palm to touch the rod blank. Only complaint is the location of the reel seat is a tad high for my liking. I've caught many chum on this rod over 15lbs and it handled them no sweat. Yet the rod did not feel overpowering on coho in the 6-8lb range. I plan to fish it for steelhead and I'm sure it will not let me down. I also think it would handle springs fairly well. The rod is rated medium power but I'd say it is on the high end of medium.

Really no "need" to upgrade this rod, however I bought a new sexy centerpin reel: A Campbell 4 1/2 inch. I'll fish it on the HMX for now but down the road I would like a sexier/higher end rod to go with this beauty of a reel.

I'd like something pretty close in power to the HMX. A good rod for steelhead and coho, with enough backbone to handle chum and springs. I don't care if it is not a meat stick that will turn the biggest white spring in its tracks. Cost/benefit wise I'd rather fish a lighter rod all day.

Rods I have in mind are:

Sage 3106B. I think the 3106LB would be a bit too soft.
Sage 3113LB. I think this rod would have just enough backbone for springs and chum.
Sage 3113B. More than enough power, but some people say it's heavy to fish all day.

Rainshadow XST 1263. Buddy at work has one. I fished it a bit and caught 1 coho on it. Very nice light rod. Going off old forum discussions on this site people say it's comparable in power to a Sage 3106LB or even 3106B, but faster action. I'm sure I would be very happy with one of these, however the Sage rods make me feel a little more touchy-feely/tingley. They are such a classy looking rod, even a factory rod! The Rainshadow is an unexciting matt grey. Looks aren't everything and this rod is a definite contender.

Gloomis 1263 GL2 or GL3? I have never fished a Loomis but the 1263 comes up often on this site when discussing top pick for a coho/steelhead rod with enough backbone for chum and springs. Going off Gloomis' website the GL3 is quite a bit more expensive and faster action. By the sounds of it the 1264 is more of a medium-heavy and probably has more power than I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:17:15 AM by Spawn Sack »

243Pete

Re: Which new CP rod?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:11:45 AM »

Personally I'd go with a 3113lb seeing as I own one myself along side my 3106mb, between the two I fish the 3113lb 90% of the time as it's fairly light but has enough back bone to fight chums and large springs, just don't expect it to turn over large fish in fast water that easily and there have been times where I have wished that I had my 3106mb instead like fishing some areas above Tamahi. But for medium to slower water areas I would say go with the Sage 3113lb
If you can try to find a brown blank as I really love that graphite-ish look on the blank, green blanks are fine too but to each their own.

bobby b

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:25:23 AM »

X2 on the 3113lb
Caught many big Springs and Chum on mine and never felt too undergunned. Perfect for Coho and Steelhead.

I use both a 5" Campbell and 4 3/8" reel on it ... In fast long flows I use the Campbell ...faster retrieve.

Enjoy yer reel! G'luck on the rod search.

FishnForFun

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »

A good rod for steelhead and coho, with enough backbone to handle chum and springs. I don't care if it is not a meat stick that will turn the biggest white spring in its tracks. Cost/benefit wise I'd rather fish a lighter rod all day.

G.Loomis IMX 1363-4 CPR 11'4"

Lighter then the sage rods you mentioned in my opinion. You also mentioned reel positioning, so pros/cons of sliding reel seat should be considered. I always put electrical tape over mine after i dropped a reel while fighting a fish, I had somehow knocked it loose. (never happened again after using tape)

From my experience i have discovered that I like being able to change different sized reels on the rod and adjust exactly where i want it to be, The rod weight is reduced because of the seat too.
Rod also packs down well, breaks down into 4 pieces if need be but i generally just treat it like my 2pc rods.

stsfisher

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »

I have a 3113lb and love it for its power and relative lightness and like others have said it will handle just about anything you throw at it.

I test fished a buddies rainshadow 1263 build a few years ago for a complete season and fell in love with it. I did find it on the light side for some steelhead but would not hesitate to one day get one built for local steelhead and coho fisheries. Once the budget allows it will be my next rod for sure.

Can't go wrong with either rod, but for an all around rod the 3113lb will ensure your not under gunned on all species of fish on any given day.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 04:03:19 PM »

Awesome thanks guys!

stsfisher: So by and large you found the 3113LB had a bit more backbone than the Rainshadow 1263?

FishnForFun: I checked out the 1363-4 CPR on Loomis' website. I like the adjustable reel seat, nice touch. My old Lamiglass rod has a sliding reel seat and I found it nice to figure how far up I liked my reel to sit.

The specs of this rod concern me a bit. Med-light power, 8-12 line rated. Sounds a bit light for what I'm looing for; however, I have not fished a Loomis rod and perhaps they are underrated spec wise, much like the Rainshadow blanks.

Do you have an opinion on the Loomis 1263 GL2? Reading several old threads on this site, a lot of guys like this rod as a pin rod or bait caster rod for steelhead/coho but with enough jam to handle springs and chum.

I was contacted by a member on this site who has a 3113LB brown blank for sale. Will definitely have to check it out. Did not say what he wants for it. Emailed him back, awaiting reply.

**question** If one gets a custom rod made, do you just get the reel seat put at the height you typically like? Or should it be placed at a height that balances out the reel that will be used on the rod? I guess a heavy or light butt can be used to help fine tune this?

I love it when a set up balances nicely and the tip is effortless to hold up all day. Hate it when a rod feels tip heavy and you are bagging on your wrist and forearm all day to hold that damn tip up.

stsfisher

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »

stsfisher: So by and large you found the 3113LB had a bit more backbone than the Rainshadow 1263?

My bad SS, the rod I test drove was actually:  XST1383F Titanium Chrome 11'6" 2 6-12lb. 3/8-3/4oz. 0.424 5.0 F M 3.6oz. Medium Centerpin Rod/Float Rod

I might think this is a better option than the 1263: XST1263F Titanium Chrome 10'6" 2 6-12lb. 3/8-3/4oz. 0.580 4.5 F M 2.8oz. Medium light slide float rod

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:51:20 PM »

Ahhh, no problem. Yes by and large the XST 1383F is the more popular pin rod. But I have fished my friend's XST 1263 pin rod and I quite liked it. I didn't find the fast action an issue for casting. He raves about the rod and says he prefers it to his Sage custom rods. Mainly due to the reduced weight, but also the power and sensitivity.

Curious what ya'll think of the Gloomis STR 1263C-BC GL2. It's a 10'6, medium power, fast action, 6-12 line rating, 3/8-3/4 lure rating. This rod has been discussed a lot on this site as an awesome light steelhead/coho rod, with adequate backbone for chum and springs. There is also the 1264 which has a bit more jam.

hammer

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 09:34:40 PM »

If you can get a Rainshadow BP1264 blank built up (or build yourself) as a centerpin,they are great. The customer service is excellent at Batson Rainshadow (no waiting 4 months for replacement tip). This rod is a composite blank and bends well into the blank which fits a traditional centerpin action while having some backbone to set hooks and fight fish. Russ Goodwin from Styrker rods is where I bought my first one. After fishing it for around 8 years, I see the why it was chosen for pin though I think originally a mooching blank. I have since built up another. Blanks are very reasonable through various suppliers (Valley Custom rods is great to deal with, I think they build up too). Rainshadow/Alps also has some neat components. I have/had a number of centerpin rods 3 are Rainshadows, one Sage, one old school Lamiglass. This blank should not be overlooked.
My 3 cents

FishnForFun

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 10:31:07 PM »

FishnForFun: I checked out the 1363-4 CPR on Loomis' website. I like the adjustable reel seat, nice touch. My old Lamiglass rod has a sliding reel seat and I found it nice to figure how far up I liked my reel to sit.

The specs of this rod concern me a bit. Med-light power, 8-12 line rated. Sounds a bit light for what I'm looing for; however, I have not fished a Loomis rod and perhaps they are underrated spec wise, much like the Rainshadow blanks.

I have had no problem with it, while it is on the lighter side it has a surprisingly good amount of turning power for a moderate action rod. Of course its no meatstick, but in my opinion perfect for what i fish.

I love it when a set up balances nicely and the tip is effortless to hold up all day. Hate it when a rod feels tip heavy and you are bagging on your wrist and forearm all day to hold that damn tip up.

One reason why i always pickup this rod combo, feel like i have a sweet spot and the rod is weightless through drifts.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 10:36:24 PM »

Thank you FishnForFun, good info :)

stsfisher: curious how you would rate/compare the XST 1383 vs your Sage 3113LB. For example, weight/balance in the hand, back bone, hook setting power, overall winner not considering purchase price and brand loyalty?

Thank you.

stsfisher

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 07:52:14 AM »

Thank you FishnForFun, good info :)

stsfisher: curious how you would rate/compare the XST 1383 vs your Sage 3113LB. For example, weight/balance in the hand, back bone, hook setting power, overall winner not considering purchase price and brand loyalty?

Thank you.

I think like any rod there are many factors to consider when trying to answer the above. But I will give my experiences with both rods.

Weight/Balance for the XST 1383
 This is a tricky one to answer as weight and balance has a lot to do with the build it self and the choice of reel(s) you are putting on the rod. The rod I used was built with a very short but section and premium components and made for a very light/balanced rod in the hand without a reel attached. However this did change when I put one of my Tournament drifters on the rod. These are not light reels and probably where not a good fit, but I fish them and like them for there durability on the water. So.... weight and balance of the rod that was built in the manner it was, was a great feel but not properly matched when it came down to the reel. Don't get me wrong I did not have an issue with the imbalance and only say it as an observation for you when making a decision.
My 3113lb definitely suits my Drifters better but still find the reel could be lighter to better balance the setup.

Back Bone/ hook setting power
 When fishing the 1383 I really did enjoy the fact it was on the lighter side when discussing back bone, but one fall back was getting used to the lack of hook setting power I was used too with the 3113. The 3113 definitely had a quicker hook set compared to the slow hook up power of the 1383. Something that I think will be an issue with any new to you rod purchase as they all have a different feel or pickup when setting a hook. The 3113lb in my opinion has more backbone or meat in the lower end than the 1383 which is an advantage on larger fish, but for the most part I would not ever consider the 1383 to be too light for our local steelhead/coho fisheries.

Over all winner-
 I probably would not consider the 1383 as my first choice for the all around rod for all salmon/steelhead species. In my opinion it is a bit on the light side when considering Springs and chum but a very enjoyable rod to fish for coho and Steelhead. To me the 3113lb does a much better job of covering all species including springs and chum.
If I didn't already have the 3113lb and I wanted to use 1 rod for all of my pinning needs locally and I only had the 2 choices ( and I had no other experience with other rods of this caliber) I would probably pick up the 3113lb, but if my passion was to target steelhead and coho and you are able to confidently handle a rod I would choose the Rainshadow 1383. I do like both rods, having a 3113 already allows me to think about my next purchase which will be the 1383.  :)

I think the biggest decision to make starts at knowing what kind of experience you want to get out of this rod and what kind of fisherman are you when making that purchase. I would have to think the 3113lb allows for a more novice approach when selecting a custom rod where the 1383 has a more experienced approach. Not even sure if that makes sense? as both rods are definitely not novice rods?

Blackrt03

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »

Stsfisher nice write up

kanuckle head

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »

I concur, nice write up stsfisher ........where's the like button ::)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »

Nice write up stsfisher, thanks!

Was in my favorite tackle shop today wiggling some rods, trying my new pin reel on various rods, chatting with the staff. Made some headway on my rod choice.

3106B: wow, beefier than I thought it would be! Looks like it would skip a coho across the surface like a flat rock. Nice rod for when big power is needed but too much for what I'm looking for.

3113LB and 3113M: Liked them both, but not loved them both. With my reel on either rod they felt a bit tip heavy to me. I know this could be compensated for in a custom build with reel seat placement, butt cap weight, and so on. Also, I know it's only 9 inches, but the 11'3 just feels a bit too long. I'd probably get used to it but 10'6 just feels perfect.

Gloomis GL2 1263C-BC. This rod felt VERY nice with my reel on it. Almost weightless. Really really liked the way this rod felt. However it's finished quite cheaply/ugly IMO. The cork and butt look cheaper than the Femwicks, Shimanos, even Okumas! I just was not that impressed with the arse end of the rod.

If I had to buy a rod today, it would have been the Loomis. However for $400ish I can get into a custom Rainshadow, which seems like better bang for my buck.

I know the 1383 is more of a cpin action, but I think I'd be happier with the 1263. For one I'm not a big fan of 11'3, and even less so 11'6. Second from what I have read on this site the 1263 with its faster action would have better hook setting than the 1383, and a bit more power in the butt of the rod. I fished my buddies 1263 built as a pin and I found it quite pleasurable to cast and fish. I only caught a mid sized coho on it, would be nice to test it on a big chum or spring. I trust his opinion and he says it can handle chum and springs, although it does not have the jam of say a 3106B.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:54:56 PM by Spawn Sack »