Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 Boxing Day Chilliwack River Steelhead Derby  (Read 18202 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: 2017 Boxing Day Chilliwack River Steelhead Derby
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 03:39:28 PM »

Registration will also be available on derby day, but only after 7pm at the Tractorgrease Cafe and cash only.

7pm? So this is how you’re gonna win it eh? ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 03:43:45 PM »

Yeah pretty much lol... The best of the rest. ;D

Corrected.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 06:57:29 PM »

I am thinking it might of been a good thing not to have the derby this year. Social media is already questioning the dead steel head pics being shown for the derby.

We want the avg public to care about steel head but we’re flashing dead steel head on social media being held up on a wall.

I understand the hatchery put and take but good luck convincing the avg joe.

Might want to keep the hero pics to your self this year.  especially if it’s a dead one hanging from a rope

It’s not far fetched to think the Provence might just do a blanket ban to all steelhead fishing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 07:13:01 PM »

::)

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »

I am thinking it might of been a good thing not to have the derby this year. Social media is already questioning the dead steel head pics being shown for the derby.

We want the avg public to care about steel head but we’re flashing dead steel head on social media being held up on a wall.

I understand the hatchery put and take but good luck convincing the avg joe.

Might want to keep the hero pics to your self this year.  especially if it’s a dead one hanging from a rope

It’s not far fetched to think the Provence might just do a blanket ban to all steelhead fishing.

Don't bother those. There are steelhead fillet in Safeway, save on food and people ignore what so ever.

Silex-user

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »

Best of luck and be safe out there for those fishing in Derby. I only fished once in Boxing derby and that was long time ago.

Silex user

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »

Don't bother those. There are steelhead fillet in Safeway, save on food and people ignore what so ever.

Lois Lake trout. I went to the restaurant at Grouse mountain and they claimed to be serving wild steelhead.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=26401.0
http://

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »

Time for your predictions for the weigh in, I’m going with 8.

Hope over 15 tho

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 04:29:45 AM »

Heading out soon as Fred has asked me to help with the derby and take pictures etc.. Also will be submitting a story to the Chilliwack Progress, like i did for a number of years. Not too windy this Am but around -4 right now, very little snow in the Lower reaches, more up towards the hatchery. Dress warmly and I will see a few of you later.

Due to renovations to the Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association's clubhouse this year, Fred's Custom Tackle will be hosting this year's Boxing Day Steelhead Derby at the Tractorgrease Cafe (48710 Chilliwack Lake Road).

To register, please sign up for the Wally Hall Junior Memorial Fishing Derby at Fred’s Custom Tackle prior to Boxing Day. Registration is also available on derby day at the Tractorgrease Cafe starting at 7:00am but it is cash only. If you have already registered in this season’s Wally Hall Junior Memorial Fishing Derby, then you are already entered in the Boxing Day Derby as a bonus day. This event is sponsored by Fred’s Custom Tackle, Fred will be donating all prizes ranging from $50 to $200 for the day.

*** Schedule, Rules & Prizes ***

- Derby registration fee is $20.
- You must have a valid freshwater fishing licence and steelhead conservation stamp.
- Derby begins at daylight till 2:00pm.
- Weigh-in opens at 7:00am at Tractorgrease Cafe, closes at 2:00pm.
- Awards and prizes will be given from 2:00pm to 3:00pm.
- Officials: Fred Helmer and Wally Hall.
- Coffee and food available starting at 6:30am.
- Prizes will be awarded to first fish and biggest fish. Every fish will receive a prize for the day!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 04:46:47 AM »

SilverChaser

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »

Believe that first fish was weighed in roughly around 1:30-1:45pm for anybody wondering.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »

Fred's Custom Tackle added 10 new photos.Like Page
25 mins · Chilliwack ·

Thank you everyone for participating in this year's Boxing Day Steelhead Fishing Derby in Chilliwack. Here are the results. A total of three fish were weighed in by 2:00pm.

1st place - Valdy widera 6.908lb
2nd place - Mike Roberts 6.347lb
3rd place - Ryan Hutchinson 6.261lb

All three winners went home with a very nice fishing rod each. Valdy will be having his Lamiglas custom built with all the components that he is picking out. :)

Thank you Wally for making it all happen as well. Both Fred and Wally were out very early this morning at the cafe setting everything up and patiently waited for fish to come in. ;)

We also want to thank Tractorgrease Cafe for supplying the venue to host the event. The turkey stew and beef sandwiches were awesome, we highly recommend you all to try out this little diner when you're out steelhead fishing on the Vedder!

Thanks to Chilliwack Fish and Game Protection Association for supporting and letting us host this year's Boxing Day Derby while their club house undergoes renovations!

We also like to thank Lamiglas, Seaguar Fluorocarbon, Owner Hooks, Gibbs Delta Tackle, Smith Optics, Pure Fishing for supplying all the great prizes for today's event!

Once again, thank you, your support means more money has been generated for habitat restorations on the Chilliwack/Vedder River. Great work everyone! :)

Fred's Custom Tackle

https://www.facebook.com/fredscustomtackle/?hc_ref=ARSQ4c_AisfDPxA5RqDSHs7oWih96AXVJmev03-JyF6xOpQmudMDxAvqyATZKbiNAuI

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2017, 04:36:38 PM »

I have pictures I took on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB page, will have some video up there soon.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2017, 04:47:46 PM »

3 fish....... hmmmmm?

Jk47

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »

Pretty dismal. Every spot we fished looked fishy but no fish for anyone we saw all day, fished hard from first light till dark, not a sniff