Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: JW Young  (Read 4825 times)

robbo1970

JW Young
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »

Just ordered JW Young 1540 from the UK, cant wait for it to get here.
Going to use it on my Echo DH11 13'6" 8wt. Anyone have any experience of these reels? Theres lots of good feedback on speypages bought all the posts are a little old, wondered if anyone had anything a bit more up to date

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: JW Young
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 08:12:47 PM »

I had one but took it back to the place I bought as I didn't accommodate the backing I was told it would with a #10 DT line. That was 20+ years ago.

Otherwise it's a good basic click and pawl reel in the Hardy Tradition. Is it new?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

robbo1970

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 08:33:39 PM »

Its used, around 20 plus years old.

Size wise they are a 4 1/4 inch diameter reel and the spool is 1 1/4 inch wide.

Going to be putting on 30lb backing, mono running line and a 600gr skagit compact head.

I think it will fit on there no problem. Cant wait to hear it scream when i hook a fish with it

ByteMe

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 07:39:12 AM »

They are well built, solid reels but extremely heavy, they balanced my old Bruce and Walkers fine but never found the right balance for North American built rods.......your mileage may vary
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 10:21:01 PM »

It'll suit that rod nicely. I've got the exact same rod (which is actually 13'3") and balance it with a 4" Hardy Bougle. My dad has or had that same reel and it balanced his old 14' very well. Held plenty of backing, running line and a 650 grain old school Skagit (the super old beer can ones)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/