Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crappie fishing  (Read 5769 times)

KarateKick

Crappie fishing
« on: October 21, 2017, 05:06:08 PM »

I have questions about crappie fishing, particularly about the need for equipment tailored for crappies. The crappie rods I see are very long with very light action. Some crappie reels look nothing like reels you'd normally buy:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/MR-CRAPPIE-SOLO-REEL/1715838.uts

Why do people need this kind of equipment for crappies, instead of normal panfish gear?

Why aren't long light action rods sold as trout rods? Aren't they good for casting small trout lures?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 05:12:27 PM by KarateKick »

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Crappie fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »

It's made because people will buy it.  There is a huge crappie and bluegill following in the states.  Spider rigging;

hammer

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 06:54:41 PM »

KK,
Though I have only fished for crappies a few times in my life and not for a long time, I believe the specialized poles are for the softer mouths crappie have. This differs from the spinning rods I have for my kids as though they are fairly light, the have enough stiffness/backbone to set a hook in the trout or salmon that we often target. Often with lighter spinning rods, particularly with coho and bulltrout on spoons, my 7 year old daughter often reels a fish in only to have it simply open its mouth and the spoon falls out. Because of this, I think a little bit of stiffness is good for kids to set the hook on the bite. That being said, the rods you have are probably fine for crappie. I imagine an awful lot of crappies have been caught on a regular spinning rod

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:44:34 PM »

Because cheap gear for cheap fishing. Crappie is stupid fish bite anything. You can gun down a school of crappie in half an hour

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 08:07:54 AM »

Why do people need this kind of equipment for crappies, instead of normal panfish gear?

Well you are right in that nobody NEEDS anything, but every fishery has their own specialized gear. I guess if you are really into a particular fishery, then why not use stuff designed for that purpose.

I like to target crappies maybe once a year and a ultra-light spinning rod or light fly rod are more than suitable. No need to get any more optimized than that unless you absolutely love crappie fishing.

KarateKick

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »

Hammer's explanation makes a lot of sense.

I guess crappies are special if their mouths are much softer than those of other fish.  Assuming that 's true, then you need a soft rod to drive the hook in without ripping the mouth. Very long light action rods are probably all soft.

It sounds like such rods are not good for other fish because yiu need a stiffer rod to set the hook properly.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 04:09:27 PM »

Cabelas has kokanee specific rods that would be probably be good for crappie.

KarateKick

Re: Crappie and kokanee fishing
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 07:04:45 PM »

Cabelas has kokanee specific rods that would be probably be good for crappie.

Do kokanee have soft mouths too? Or are kokanee rods soft for another reason?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:29:20 PM by KarateKick »

poper

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 11:24:15 AM »

Yummy,

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 11:43:34 AM »

Very soft mouths.  Many kokanee are lost close to the boat.  A lot of people use snubbers to lessen the shock as well.

KarateKick

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 11:16:22 AM »

Very soft mouths.  Many kokanee are lost close to the boat.  A lot of people use snubbers to lessen the shock as well.

A snubber is a new concept to me. I wonder if I should try one while fishing for soft-mouthed river minnow species like peamouth chub.

JiG_Head

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 07:39:40 PM »

Hammer's explanation makes a lot of sense.

I guess crappies are special if their mouths are much softer than those of other fish.  Assuming that 's true, then you need a soft rod to drive the hook in without ripping the mouth. Very long light action rods are probably all soft.

It sounds like such rods are not good for other fish because yiu need a stiffer rod to set the hook properly.

with crappies you never really need to set the hook. just lift the rod.  their feeding behaviour is very unique. 90% of the time they come from underneath and mouth the bait and then not move.
their mouth are quite fragile and also they dont really fight much. 

if you were looking for a rod to do both crappie/koke and ultralight fishing. i recommend the okuma SST. they have a "1-6lb" raitng and a
"2-8lb"  new for around 70 bucks. 
the shyt talker.