Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UV ice dub  (Read 5643 times)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
UV ice dub
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »

I have no experience with this stuff.  To those who use it, what is the attraction? Applications?
Thanks in advance.
It ain't the roe bro'

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: UV ice dub
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:09:56 AM »

I think, but you would have to verify, Don from SFOTF incorporated the UV ice dub in his latest versions of his Prince Nymph variants.

I recall him using purple and black UV dub in his patterns that have proven very effective in rivers like the Columbia and BC lakes. Go to Don's SFOTF website to see his work.

I think you can confidently use that in all patterns requiring dubbing. Having said that thee are so many times that the very dull, no-flash earthy toned dubbings are what the fish want.

Gotta tie everything it seems to keep up with the top rods. And yet the top rods seem to only need a very small selection of patterns to be most effective.

That's probably a big reason why I'm not keeping up with top rods, I'm tieing knots changing flies while the top rods have their fly in the water catching fish.  ;D. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »

I use it in coho and steelhead flies; small slim olive woolly buggers &  hobo speys. I have also had luck using it in a Carey Special - peacock ice dub with a throat or thorax or white UV ice dub. It would probably be effective for cutthroat as well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 11:50:04 PM »

... Having said that thee are so many times that the very dull, no-flash earthy toned dubbings are what the fish want.
That's so true........but I think I will give this UV dubbing a try. No, Rieber, we will never figure it all out. It won't be fun anymore.

RalphH, I suppose you really believe in this UV stuff and it had made a difference in your fishing?

Many thanks guys.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 08:36:59 AM »

Remember when chenilles were only available as rather dull cotton based materials? Using UV was part of a 'progression' from those to flashy plastic chenilles, to ice dub and to UV ice dub. UV chenilles have become popular as has UV flash materials. There's no evidence trout and salmon can see in the UV spectrum - except when they are parr. But UV expresses itself as florescence and I have long found florescence to greatly improve any attractor fly.

I also wanted to get a bright but less bulky version of the woolly bugger and ice dub fit the bill. I started mixing ice dub UV with the regular ice dub to get a florescent effect. It works well for both coho and cutthroat at times.

I do agree there are times when duller more natural tones will work better than such bright stuff.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 12:33:05 AM »

I don't know if you guys agree with this:
In the more established lakes where there is a good qty of smaller fish(1-2lbs) and some bigger fish(3.5 and up), like Roche, Hihium etc. The duller/ no flash earthy tones flies always catch the bigger
fish.  The flashy flies always get a lot of bites, snatch up by the smaller fish.

UV ice dubbing seems to fit the bill being not too flashy but also an attractor.  I will be applying them on small scuds or any small nymphs just to see what will happen.  Wish me luck.
It ain't the roe bro'

mcallagan

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 02:33:45 PM »

Look at the "Chum Dumpster" from Friday Night Flies.
They use it in that fly.

http://fridaynightflies.com/2017/10/14/friday-night-flies-chum-dumpster/

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 10:42:13 AM »

I love uv ice dub. I constantly add just a little bit to other dubbing to add a hint of sparkle which helps making bugs appear more alive. Use it in all my steelhead flies as well.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/