Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River water levels below Ruskin dam.  (Read 9518 times)

fishman254

Stave River water levels below Ruskin dam.
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:32:08 AM »

Looking for water levels (or flow level), for boating, at or below Ruskin dam on Stave River. Not interested in Stave River above the dam, arguably. Anybody know where that info is available?
Thanks!

FYI: I see Harrison River levels, etc., but not Stave at or below Ruskin dam, here:
https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/real_time_e.html?stn=08MG014

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River water levels below Ruskin dam.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:41:52 AM »

Stave River doesn't have a hydrometer. The water level is mostly dependent on the Fraser River level since it backs up all the way to the dam at high tide.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:13:24 AM »

they used make the expected cubic meter per second water releases available though I can't find anything on their Ruskin websites
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:18:28 AM »

they used make the expected cubic meter per second water releases available though I can't find anything on their Ruskin websites
Yes, finding coho is often more dependent on flow than water level so it would be nice to understand that.
If all you care about is running up to the toilet bowl then staying in the channel on the east side is almost always possible.

mcallagan

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »

The water levels have changed since the same time last year.
Was up there on Oct. 6th and was really surprised by how much.
Going up to the Toilet Bowl was really shallow especially on the West side of the run, use to be really deep along there in the last of the run.
I would say, IMHO, that once you go up past the pylons stay to the West of the run.
I didn't go up or down the West side of the river, I stayed out of the hoard's way.

If you have a prop just go slow and keep a good eye out for the bottom.
River is very clear so there should be no problem seeing it.

GordJ

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:29:43 PM »

With the Fraser as low as it is I would hesitate to go over to the trailer court area. I was cruising by for a look and the sounder was reading between 1 and 2 feet. Of course tides will change depths but it is very low right now.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 05:55:28 PM »

I went out over the weekend and walked right across the river in waders... water level didn't get much higher than a couple inches above my knees. Went all the way over to take a look at the old pilings on the SE side of the river. Crossed two main channels on foot. Strange to see it so low. The channel on the far East side looked like it's still got enough water in it for boats... probably  :P

fishman254

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 09:23:43 AM »

Great info, guys!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »

Water level is much higher now. I would say its up an average of about 3 feet.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sinergy

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »

Hey all sorry it's a bit off topic of the post but somewhat related. My friends went there like Monday and they were only catching spawned chum. They said it's because the low water they couldn't get up before. So with the water rising. Are fresh ones gonna come in for the weekend or is chum fishing there for freshies over?

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 07:18:59 PM »

Is the Stave fishable after a lot of rain? I'm hoping to fish somewhere on Friday after work but assume that most rivers will be blown out by the weather this week. Hoping the dam will prevent the visibility on the Stave from going to hell?

TimL

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 07:29:27 PM »

Hey all sorry it's a bit off topic of the post but somewhat related. My friends went there like Monday and they were only catching spawned chum. They said it's because the low water they couldn't get up before. So with the water rising. Are fresh ones gonna come in for the weekend or is chum fishing there for freshies over?
Last season we were catching fresh ones in early-mid November (around Remembrance day weekend I think) so it's probably not over yet, assuming we are gonna get a good return  ;).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:31:27 PM by TimL »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »

Is the Stave fishable after a lot of rain? I'm hoping to fish somewhere on Friday after work but assume that most rivers will be blown out by the weather this week. Hoping the dam will prevent the visibility on the Stave from going to hell?

We are at peak run, next two weeks will be great

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »

I thînk the water level is dam controlled, unaffected by the rains...I think.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 09:22:29 PM »

The Stave is very fishable after heavy rains. The water will be high, in the trees and grass, but it will be clear (ish) and fishable.

I thînk the water level is dam controlled, unaffected by the rains...I think.
True, not affected by rains like freestone streams that get high and dirty after a freshet, but they will spill water over the dam in periods of heavy rain. However the excess water that they spill is not dirty or murky and the tailwater below will remain fishable, albeit high.