Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 149937 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Same old sad story year after year. It ain't ever going to change so get over it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Same old sad story year after year. It ain't ever going to change so get over it.
You are right but is tough when we older anglers saw what fishing once was when it was a challenge to learn the skills to actually make a fish bite. Of course it goes hand in hand with the permissive society we now live in.

This week while doing some cleanups in preparation for Sunday's cleanup it amazes me some people just toss out their coffee cups, roe in plastic bags etc. along the parking areas when we have garbage bags a few feet away in some cases, one would thing people that like to fish would look after our rivers and not use it as a garbage dump.

Why they do so always makes me wonder. Discarded line litters some popular bars too. Is it they know some people will come along and clean it up for them.

We will have the area we will clean from Keith Wilson Bridge to the Freeway Bridge (about 15 of us will work this section) clean of all garbage on Sunday but once again come Monday it once again will be littered. I know some people pick up others garbage too and is a good idea to pack a bag along and do a small cleanup each time you are out.

Fishing was good in a area I fished today with most people short floating with roe, with a good bite at first light. I even found a spring jack and lost a couple and missed a few. Some others did very well. Of course all areas will be packed tomorrow with people going out hours before fishing time, I will try bar fishing instead, on the Fraser.

Hope to see some from this forum at the cleanup on Sunday.

Silex-user

You are right but is tough when we older anglers saw what fishing once was when it was a challenge to learn the skills to actually make a fish bite. Of course it goes hand in hand with the permissive society we now live in.

This week while doing some cleanups in preparation for Sunday's cleanup it amazes me some people just toss out their coffee cups, roe in plastic bags etc. along the parking areas when we have garbage bags a few feet away in some cases, one would thing people that like to fish would look after our rivers and not use it as a garbage dump.

Why they do so always makes me wonder. Discarded line litters some popular bars too. Is it they know some people will come along and clean it up for them.

We will have the area we will clean from Keith Wilson Bridge to the Freeway Bridge (about 15 of us will work this section) clean of all garbage on Sunday but once again come Monday it once again will be littered. I know some people pick up others garbage too and is a good idea to pack a bag along and do a small cleanup each time you are out.

Fishing was good in a area I fished today with most people short floating with roe, with a good bite at first light. I even found a spring jack and lost a couple and missed a few. Some others did very well. Of course all areas will be packed tomorrow with people going out hours before fishing time, I will try bar fishing instead, on the Fraser.

Hope to see some from this forum at the cleanup on Sunday.

Silex-user

It is too bad that salmon fishing  got this bad in Vedder Chilliwack river. I remember the good old days where I just used a short 8 lbs mono leader with size 4 hook baited nothing more than small piece chartreuse and red yarns.

I can't remember when the last time I hooked coho in Vedder. Then again I don't fished the Vedder for salmon anymore.

Silex user

Aki

An eight pound leader and size 4 hooks with wool still work, even for springs, if you have some room to move on the river. My leader length depends on the water conditions: clarity and flow speed. From 12 inches to about 4 feet. Almost all fish are hooked with a take of the terminal gear in the mouth and then the fight is on, especially with a centre pin...I also have seen hardly any cohos this year...hopefully more will show themselves...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

An eight pound leader and size 4 hooks with wool still work, even for springs, if you have some room to move on the river. My leader length depends on the water conditions: clarity and flow speed. From 12 inches to about 4 feet. Almost all fish are hooked with a take of the terminal gear in the mouth and then the fight is on, especially with a centre pin...I also have seen hardly any cohos this year...hopefully more will show themselves...
Still early as Thanksgiving used to be the prime time, depending on the water conditions. In the 80's we caught them into December too when there was ones heading to the Salwein Creek which was a late run. I caught my first steelhead on the Vedder when fishing for coho. :D :D

dobrolub

one would thing people that like to fish would look after our rivers and not use it as a garbage dump.
 Why they do so always makes me wonder.
Leave people with one fishing day and they won't care for the river. Allow people to make their own decisions when to fish and they will start taking great care of the river and the stock.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Fished the Canuck run section this morning. There were about 30 cars at Keith Wilson around 0640 hrs. Fishermen were lined up along the banks waiting for the gong to ring. As others have reported, the river is very low. Lots of pinks in the river. Fishing wise I hooked and lost a chinook and pinks. All the fish that were caught where I was were pinks. Should only get better.

blackskull

Please learn to ID your fish.  If you can't positively ID the fish, please release it. 

Multiple times this past weekend, I've seen people ID their fish verbally to their buddies saying that it's a coho or spring only to see that their catch was a pink.

bobby b

... you know... I hear a lot of folks saying how bad it is to fish on the Vedder .... I beg to differ. Yes there are spots to be avoided ...esp on weekends
 But with about 32kms of fishable river it is still possible to find enjoyable somewhat quiet area to fish ...I know I do. Just gotta hike
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:53:00 PM by bobby b »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer

Leave people with one fishing day and they won't care for the river. Allow people to make their own decisions when to fish and they will start taking great care of the river and the stock.

Do you mean to say that people littering the rivers is DFO's fault because rec openings have been so limited this year?  ???

milo

• Old Timer

Do you mean to say that people littering the rivers is DFO's fault because rec openings have been so limited this year?  ???

You know, that's how I read it as well, but since I found the comment so disturbing and outrageous, I decided to leave it there and justify it with the poster's poor English or something.
But if you and I are interpreting the comment correctly, the poster is out to lunch and, to put it mildly, needs professional counseling.

ribolovac02

Words on the screen can be understood in many ways , that's the main problem with internet , I feel all of your guys pain, wishing everyone good luck out there...

mvelasco

... you know... I hear a lot of folks saying how bad it is to fish on the Vedder .... I beg to differ. Yes there are spots to be avoided ...esp on weekends
 But with about 32kms of fishable river it is still possible to find enjoyable somewhat quiet area to fish ...I know I do. Just gotta hike
I agree, although one spot I frequent gets crowded it's the same faces I see every year and I honestly look forward to seeing those gents for the season!

dobrolub

blood_orange, this has nothing to do with the DFO. I am just suggesting a possibility that some fishermen don't want to spend time cleaning up after themselves because they simply don't have as much time as they used to. As for the stock, they just want to take their fish, and will use  method that works best for getting a fish. Sorry for making you feel disturbed milo.