Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 149910 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

KWB today. I have been out 3 times with no bites, good roe too, not sure what I am doing wrong.😨 https://youtu.be/AOWZEh3BRJc

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

KWB today. I have been out 3 times with no bites, good roe too, not sure what I am doing wrong.😨 https://youtu.be/AOWZEh3BRJc

Quit wearing that Laugh hat you will have instantaneous result. That hat and team are cursed. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Quit wearing that Laugh hat you will have instantaneous result. That hat and team are cursed. ;D
Maybe I a need a leader twice the length of a hockey stick. :-X I feel sorry to see the fish being taken this way, saw 3 or  4 guys setting up camp tonight and they had either 6 or 8 chinook laying on the ground, forgot the number as I did not want to look at them too closely, felt like saying something but no use. Fishing now is getting worse than I though it ever would be as such a high percentage have lost the art of angling. Seeing a lot of dead pinks along the shore. The highlight of the day was discovering this rare gull, I put it on a birding web site and people came from Vancouver to get pictures. It is not a common gull for our area. A short video I filmed of this Juvenile Sabine's Gull. https://youtu.be/_xti7SAa7yE

"Sabine's Gull is an unusual and distinctive arctic gull that breeds at high latitudes but winters near the tropics. A striking bird in all plumage's with a bold upper wing pattern, long pointed wings, a notched tail, and a short black bill with a yellow tip."

Rieber

• Old Timer

My kid and I drove over the KW Bridge today on the way home from Chilliwack - not fishing related.

Drove over just as it would be too late to fish and in the parking area on the downstream side of the bridge appeared to be, what I believe I saw, was a CO in fishing gear checking licenses. The CO was probably fishing on the bar right up to last light and then once the clock struck ticket time, he probably started paying attention to fishermen. Driving over the bridge we were laughing because today was one of the rare evenings during salmon season that you don't see any "little late to get off the river" fishermen.

We were pretty certain that was a CO checking licenses. A CO would only need to do that a few times before word got out and suddenly the late-nighters lose their courage to fish in the dark.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

My kid and I drove over the KW Bridge today on the way home from Chilliwack - not fishing related.

Drove over just as it would be too late to fish and in the parking area on the downstream side of the bridge appeared to be, what I believe I saw, was a CO in fishing gear checking licenses. The CO was probably fishing on the bar right up to last light and then once the clock struck ticket time, he probably started paying attention to fishermen. Driving over the bridge we were laughing because today was one of the rare evenings during salmon season that you don't see any "little late to get off the river" fishermen.

We were pretty certain that was a CO checking licenses. A CO would only need to do that a few times before word got out and suddenly the late-nighters lose their courage to fish in the dark.
They fish there past fishing time as they use the light of the bridge. On my way fishing this AM there was 30 cars parked there,
 45 minutes before it was light.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Maybe I a need a leader twice the length of a hockey stick. :-X I feel sorry to see the fish being taken this way, saw 3 or  4 guys setting up camp tonight and they had either 6 or 8 chinook laying on the ground, forgot the number as I did not want to look at them too closely, felt like saying something but no use. Fishing now is getting worse than I though it ever would be as such a high percentage have lost the art of angling. Seeing a lot of dead pinks along the shore. The highlight of the day was discovering this rare gull, I put it on a birding web site and people came from Vancouver to get pictures. It is not a common gull for our area. A short video I filmed of this Juvenile Sabine's Gull. https://youtu.be/_xti7SAa7yE

"Sabine's Gull is an unusual and distinctive arctic gull that breeds at high latitudes but winters near the tropics. A striking bird in all plumage's with a bold upper wing pattern, long pointed wings, a notched tail, and a short black bill with a yellow tip."

Anchovies or a green charturse spatter back hoochie work great gulls. Make sure u use barbless hooks as getting the hook out of the beak can be tricky.

milo

• Old Timer

https://youtu.be/AOWZEh3BRJc

Whatever happened to pointing the rod at a foul hooked fish and breaking it off?
Is it really necessary to play the fish to exhaustion like that? Don't know about you, but I find it disturbing.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Whatever happened to pointing the rod at a foul hooked fish and breaking it off?
Is it really necessary to play the fish ,to exhaustion like that? Don't know about you, but I find it disturbing.
It is very disturbing and you unfortunately will see it first had when we are getting the garbage and tires out of the river on Sunday at the cleanup. We have 14 coming for our section but you and I will work the gravel bars where I have spotted the ties etc. The first ones are at the bar at the Blue Cup, that is at the South end of the Golf Course..

Rieber

• Old Timer

They fish there past fishing time as they use the light of the bridge. On my way fishing this AM there was 30 cars parked there,
 45 minutes before it was light.

Yes, many years ago when I still had usable knees, I was one of those those guys jockying for the top spot under the bridge. On one hand I'm glad those questionable fishing days are long gone for me but I sure wish I still had usable knees.  :'(

I don't like fishing or hunting into the dark. You think all is good and you know the safe trail back but one evening I decided to cut through the brush and crawl up the bank. Well my slick felt bottom sole slipped on some mud and down I went. As I fell a stout dry, sharp branch pierced through my wader above the belt and with the grace of God, slid around my belly with just a minor bloody scratch. That was it for me - no more fishing when I'm going to need a flashlight to get back out. Things can go very bad a night.

I've always preferred first light anyways.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing

If you love fishing, buy yourself a small boat. This will open up loads of opportunities to avoid the GONG show. That or hike, hike far, go to places the harvest at all costs crowd will not go. Typically the people ripping on Salmon are after the easiest places to get fish. They want stacked up fish, close to their cars with throngs of like minded people to overlook their methods.
In the last 20 years I have not fished the Vedder above Sumas River from Sept 15 - Nov 1. I have enjoyed peaceful fishing, even amongst crowds, but always the people were actually fishing.
So many places in the LML to catch Salmon that a person does not need to expose themselves to the debauchery.

BUT, if you really want to stand on KWB and watch this show, then get a loud speaker stand on the bridge and call out these people and have some fun, please make a video to share on here though.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Rieber

• Old Timer

I kind of like all these guys at the KWB, keeps them off the better parts of the river. I'm personally no longer interested in going to the river anymore but I still have some gear and a salmon stamp just in case I get the urge. I just won't take it seriously anymore - I can't because I get too upset and vocal on the river watching all the crap. I prefer stillwater and my boat is only for me - no passengers. I come and go as I please and If I have to stop fishing to take a leak, I'm pretty confident I won't have someone jumping into my spot or crab walking over to try squeeze me out.

Enjoy the river boys, it's all yours.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Blah, blah, blah........... Blah.

DanL

• Old Timer

From the posted vids it looks like people are having a good time there and not freaking out about things.

The last time I stood on top of the bridge and watched there was actually some argument over crossed lines or something equally inane.  So long as people play nice together and observe the regs and have a little respect overall, then whatever.

bobby b

Could be waaaay worse ..... this is a real 'gong show' ....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ts38Mmq8FAA

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

If you love fishing, buy yourself a small boat. This will open up loads of opportunities to avoid the GONG show. That or hike, hike far, go to places the harvest at all costs crowd will not go. Typically the people ripping on Salmon are after the easiest places to get fish. They want stacked up fish, close to their cars with throngs of like minded people to overlook their methods.
In the last 20 years I have not fished the Vedder above Sumas River from Sept 15 - Nov 1. I have enjoyed peaceful fishing, even amongst crowds, but always the people were actually fishing.
So many places in the LML to catch Salmon that a person does not need to expose themselves to the debauchery.

BUT, if you really want to stand on KWB and watch this show, then get a loud speaker stand on the bridge and call out these people and have some fun, please make a video to share on here though.
Video later, CO's are have a field day there I hear, giving out tickets, barbed hooks, not marking fish down, fishing past cut off time etc.. We have to keep calling this type of activity out although I hate to say it, it will never stop now as it has gone by the point of no return, we have seen the best of it Rod.

Maybe Trump will stop it if he continues fighting with NK and that could be bad for all of us.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:32:35 PM by chris gadsden »