Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grain weight for Amundson Wind Warrior 6wt Spey - help.  (Read 5816 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Grain weight for Amundson Wind Warrior 6wt Spey - help.
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:52:32 PM »

I can't remember and now can't seem to find what the preferred grin weight of Skagit or Flight head for a 6wt Amundsun Wind Warrior  Spey rod.

I've googled a bunch but can't find the information I'm looking for. I ended up with heads from 320 to 425gr but honestly my spey casting is more of a chuck and duck that I really don't know what I'm feeling or when the grain weight is right or not. I can fish the Vedder with what I'm doing but it looks and feels like crap. Now with my buggered shoulder I'm even more handicapped so I need a little help with the correct head weight and at least I'll be confident that my setup is right.

Yes it's an old rod and probably has a wide grain window but hopefully someone is still using this rod or can remember what they used.

I expect to be using sink tips to suit the current.

Any advise would be appreciated - thanks.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Grain weight for Amundson Wind Warrior 6wt Spey - help.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 06:57:38 PM »

I used a 400 g Skagit short with that rod ... seemed just about right for my casting style.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 07:56:58 PM »

I used a 400 g Skagit short with that rod ... seemed just about right for my casting style.

That sounds right. I have that head somewhere. Thanks Dave.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 07:23:08 AM »

What are you using for tips? That can have an impact as well

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »

What are you using for tips? That can have an impact as well

T-14 or 18 something like that - it's been so long since I've bought that stuff. I'll use anywhere from 3 to 6' depending on the flow and depth that I think I need to get the fly to. I'm sure the 10' poly tips are a better option and I probably should give that a try. Challenge for me is that I can seem to feel and don't really know what the "right" feel is.

I do know that I try make it harder on myself than it needs to be. I just want to use the Spey rod for Coho.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »

If you are using t14, or even t18 thatll ake things tough to cast on a 6wt spey.   Also 3 and 6 foot tips might be a bit short to get a good load, look at maybe 10 feet of t10 and maybe t14, but id avoid using t18

fishgod

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:55:13 PM »

I would agree with the 400 grain Skagit, but I used 6 and 8 weight versa leaders, also the rod loves a 360 grain rage compact and  poly leaders - grain window is so variable with casting style.  I tend to use both hands about equally
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 10:41:10 AM »

If you are using t14, or even t18 thatll ake things tough to cast on a 6wt spey.   Also 3 and 6 foot tips might be a bit short to get a good load, look at maybe 10 feet of t10 and maybe t14, but id avoid using t18

Hmmm, this could be the biggest problem. These are left overs from a bigger 8wt I started with and just have been too cheap to get a polytip ::). I'm thinking its time to buck up. Thanks guys. Knowledge is power.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »

From what I've seen on-line

Skagit shooting head:
7/8 weight = 560 grain
8/9 weight = 630 grain
9/10 weight = 750 grain

They didn't have a grain rating for 6wt but it is probably around 450.