Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Treasure  (Read 18097 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: River Treasure
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 05:40:16 PM »

I PM'd you some pictures :D

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2017, 11:12:42 PM »

Found my second usable river dustpan! I also pulled a couple of batteries out of the river and will drop them in the recycling container at work. I also got a 30g float and Filip Flisiak's wallet. I think the wallet's been in the river for about ~5 years based on two membership card expiry dates. The CareCard (third from left) turned a weird dark gray colour.

I'll put in a couple of calls to the card issuers in the wallet but doubt they'll help me find the guy. If you happen to know him, please PM me. There's one card in particular that he'll be happy to get back. Lost in the Coquitlam River in 2012 would be my guess :o

Edit: I kept the cards but threw away the wallet. It smelled terrible  ;D

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:14:31 PM by Blood_Orange »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »

Any cash?  ;) ;D
http://

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »

No cash but there was a salmon egg and a dragonfly larvae inside  ::)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2017, 06:00:15 PM »

Tim Hortons gift card?

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 12:51:46 PM »

Found the owner of the wallet through the Save-On card!

He and his wife lived in Coquitlam back in 2012. The guy was at home one day when thieves broke into his house and stole some things, including his wallet. They kept the cash and the driver's licence and threw the rest into the river. There was a $120 Lululemon gift card in there but either they didn't notice it or were just looking for cash. The wallet floated downstream about 2km over five years. He and his wife live in Kelowna now so I'm mailing them the cards. Happy ending plus an interesting story!

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »

He and his wife lived in Coquitlam back in 2012. The guy was at home one day when thieves broke into his house and stole some things, including his wallet. They kept the cash and the driver's licence and threw the rest into the river. There was a $120 Lululemon gift card in there but either they didn't notice it or were just looking for cash. The wallet floated downstream about 2km over five years. He and his wife live in Kelowna now so I'm mailing them the cards. Happy ending plus an interesting story!

Good story.

96XJ

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 05:27:03 PM »

Hey good on you Blood_Orange , way to follow up on this , that's definitely good karma

Seahawk

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »

This is called basic human decency.  Well done for doing this.  The world in general needs a lot more people and actions like this!!!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 09:04:13 PM »

Was out at the Stave today. Water levels very low... lots of treasure to be found!

Interesting thing:
-The dude who was futzing around in the water on the East side below the dam, about level with the spawning channel bridge. Went over later and found a tin of sardines with the lid cracked open an inch, sitting in a foot of water about ten feet from shore. I removed the tin from the water but didn't pack it out with me because it was smelly.

Checked out both West and East sides of the river. Found one giant tangle lower down on the East side:

My buddy took it home and cleaned it up:

I found a handful of lures while roaming around. Some good hardware but most of the hooks were in various stages of decay. Two questions: Are the Pixee Spooon-type lures any good for chum? Never seen them before today but found two. Second question, the pink thing at the bottom, from what I found online, is an articulated fly with two hooks. Is that legal for use in rivers? And fly fishing or drift fishing? I'll try it out if it's legal.

Total hooks: 40
Treble barbed: 1
Single barbed: 3
Semi-barbed: 4
Single barbless: 32

The percentage of single barbless hooks found was very high today  :D

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »

I’m 95% sure that having 2 hooks on a fly is illegal in rivers
Someone was here

sbc hris

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 10:21:03 AM »

Pixee spoons are good for coho in big/coloured water. They’ll probably catch the odd chum too. The guy with the sardine can was surely trying to attract crayfish. He was probably coming back later to pick off the ones that would be hanging around it.

colin6101

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 03:15:16 PM »

I’m 95% sure that having 2 hooks on a fly is illegal in rivers

You are correct, it is illegal to use these flies in our rivers. You can however use them in some places in the ocean.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 04:57:35 PM »

Cool story about the wallet!  8)
Glad you're cleaning up the river (and getting some neat loot). :)

If you're ever diving in Buntzen lake (or anyone else lol), I lost (read dropped) a willow leaf with a red wedding ring in the northwest corner of the lake (near the river that goes under the bridge), and I lost a ford fender about a hundred meters north of the dog park along the shore. Big 4-5 pound trout (had the drag set too light and was in a kayak) pulled it through a log and tangled it hopelessly. :( It was my lucky rig too. :S