Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Treasure  (Read 18100 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: River Treasure
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »

Furry creek I'm guessing? I came back with a few golf balls last time I was there :P

Also saw a bunch of golf balls in the Stave but they were too hard to hold on to while swimming so I left them.
Yep, you should norkel there. Should be tons of lures and golf balls that are too deep for people with waders on.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »

Yep, you should norkel there. Should be tons of lures and golf balls that are too deep for people with waders on.

I'd be scared that an orca would mistake me for a seal... all sorts of crazy stuff lives in the ocean  ::)

sbc hris

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 10:33:36 PM »

I used to snorkel the Stave a few times every summer. I had a big plano tackle box full of the stuff that I found, but by now I have used the good stuff and tossed the junk. My best find was a complete set up, Southbend rod and reel. It was obviously not of high quality, but it was in great shape and I caught A LOT of fish on it over the years. There was always lots of treasure to be had there if the water levels were right and not too frigid. It was also very neat to just float down the river with a mask and snorkel observing the fish.

Edit to add: I would say that there was barbs on 75-90% of what we recovered from the river...
Trebles were a regular occurence as well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:26:23 AM by sbc hris »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 10:58:46 PM »

Back in the sockeye and chinook  heydays of Scale Bar, the amount of bottom bouncing rigs that you could collect in the fall when the season closed, and the water dropped, was astonishing.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 11:49:02 PM »

Back in the sockeye and chinook  heydays of Scale Bar, the amount of bottom bouncing rigs that you could collect in the fall when the season closed, and the water dropped, was astonishing.

True that. I know a dude who turned bouncing betties into 10 pound lake boat anchors - that's how much lead he was able to salvage. :o

danielk

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »

It would be a good investment to snorkel the cable pool on the cap this time of the year. I'm sure you would cash in the water is so low.  But beware of fly fisherman haha 

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 04:59:48 PM »

It would be a good investment to snorkel the cable pool on the cap this time of the year. I'm sure you would cash in the water is so low.  But beware of fly fisherman haha

I saw a dude years ago doing just that in a canyon section with good success.

Jk47

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 10:04:48 PM »

Funny that the percentage of illegal barbed gear found far outweighs the barbless. Seems those practicing ethical standards tend to lose less gear. Hmmm.. coincidence? Oh ya, and also rarely tend to hook em in the back (just sayin!!) :-* :-*

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 05:47:57 PM »

That may be related to the skill of the fishermen. The barbless hooks are mostly from seasoned, law abiding anglers. The barbed ones are from newbies or those without skill or confidence that they can hook, play and land a fish with skill without losing the majority of the catch. Another thing is that the barbless folks are mostly short floaters and they don't lose too many setups , and the others are mostly bottom scratchers regardless of how shallow they fish. Lol.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »

I'm more impressed that he found a rod and reel  ;D

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 09:08:35 PM »

Found a bit of treasure today at the Coquitlam River, just downstream of the railway bridge. Looks brand new; the barbs are still sharp. If it's yours please PM me your name, contact info, and angler number :)

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 11:53:09 PM »

I just picked up an all gold 3 at Walmart today and clamped that treble off as soon as i got home...first tackle ive ever had to buy ahaha

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 05:28:06 PM »

Was out at the Stave today fishing with trout beads for the first time. No bites, no fish. I think the gear and setup were correct but not sure that I was in the right place or that I wasn't making some other kind of mistake. Tried both sides of the river... saw a guy catch a gorgeous chrome chum on the West side in the AM :o Was quiet after that so my buddy and I switched sides. There were 6-8 people fishing for coho in the marsh. I saw a handful of old cohos on their redds but nothing that looked worth catching. Didn't see anyone hook up.

I was keen to get out on the hunt for treasure and came back with a modest haul. The water level was higher than I'd hoped... the dam had three spillways open. Clarity was mediocre. Usually the Stave is pretty clear despite the weather but after the rain this week I'll take what I can get.

Total hooks: 7 (Forgot my tupperware today so didn't pick up garbage hooks)
Treble barbed: 0
Single barbed: 2
Semi-barbed: 0
Single barbless: 5

cdjk123

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 12:48:31 PM »

Seeing that amount of single barbless is pretty good, especially on the Stave!
Some of those are nice jigs too.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:17:36 PM by cdjk123 »