Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River  (Read 59031 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2017, 08:21:22 AM »

Those discarded pinks show that a certain group won't lower themselves to eat pinks while they claim their people have to deal with poverty ...

it's always been common for sport anglers to discard by-catch and toss it in the bush, how about you?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #196 on: September 04, 2017, 08:25:38 AM »

it's always been common for sport anglers to discard by-catch and toss it in the bush, how about you?

So you're assuming all sporties are the same? You say it's 'COMMON'.  See it's idiotic comments like that why I can't respect you. I've never tossed a salmon in the bush ever. In fact, In over 35 years of salmon fishing, I've seen very few sporties toss salmon in the bush. But you just lumped us all together.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #197 on: September 04, 2017, 08:29:40 AM »

Did I mention salmon? I don't think so.

Ralph, that quote from the Supreme Court of Canada completely shows why you're wrong.

Robert, five years of University and you still don't understand denial is not an argument.

Next you'll offer the Monty Python-esque "t'isn't" rebuttal. I'll sit that out thank you.

I didn't say anything Robbie, I just quoted the SCO ruling.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2017, 08:34:03 AM »

Did I mention salmon? I don't think so.

If you didn't mean salmon, then what did you mean? Pike Minnows. Really???
This topic is about salmon.

santefe

« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2017, 08:35:15 AM »

I agree with Birkenhead,
its time to close this thread.
Too much ranting.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2017, 08:56:32 AM »

I dont agree. Invasive species and non-game fish, perhaps, but when is it common for sporties to discard by-catch of a species for which there is a conservation concern?

A whole sector is dying for any opening (which was the whole point of the demonstration fishery) but is denied on the premise of conservation yet another sector is literally throwing fish away because they aren't worth any additional effort. A couple dozen pinks are insignificant in the big picture, but the optics of those discarded pinks is bad. And there must have been a better way to handle it than just leaving a pile to rot on the bank.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2017, 09:05:07 AM »

Just where to you stand on the Maria Slough Sockeye controversy?  ;D

I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of sockeye in Maria Slough. 😀

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »

Catch and release is a kind of discard. Depending on the terminal tackle it can be quite significant.  Studies on fishing for coho with roe has shown discard rates (mortality) of 10 to 50% By law you can't waste your catch and that includes pike minnows, chub sculpins and other 'trash' fish.Those fish play important roles in river eco-systems. Sculpins are important trout and bull trout food.

As I said above I think it would benefit if means could be developed to make use of non-target species in FN fisheries, like pinks.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:37:01 AM by RalphH »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »

And there must have been a better way to handle it than just leaving a pile to rot on the bank.

The only rational thing to do is to go back to the river, collect those salmon, and donate them to a food bank. And just to be clear I'm not talking about salmon caught in the future. I'm talking about those fish in particular.

/s

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2017, 09:57:10 AM »

Rodney.

This thread is well past any semblance of usefulness and needs to be closed. Pretty said to see that the posts here delve into race wars. Not a good way for sporties to gain any respect...

What do you think the Demonstration Fishery was all about? When you peel away at the layers of sugar coated political correctness along with seeing photos of discarded salmon by special interest groups, it's really hard to swallow the pill of empathy. It's even harder when certain people feel it justified.

Maybe as a protest Recreational Fishermen should file a class action law suit for the return of funds spent on Tidal Salmon Tags....would that not be justified?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »

The only rational thing to do is to go back to the river, collect those salmon, and donate them to a food bank. And just to be clear I'm not talking about salmon caught in the future. I'm talking about those fish in particular.

/s

Sarcasm at it's best.

If a sporty caught another sporty doing that to any salmon chances are the perpetrator would end up going for a swim.
If a CO caught a sporty doing that to any salmon, chances are they would be fined and charged with animal cruelty.

But if they belong to a special interest group, it's okay because it falls under their assigned quota along with their God given rights.  Too boot, it's considered racist to speak out against it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:25:39 AM by blaydRnr »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »

It's a blinkered view that let's you see it this way. The discard of by-catch pinks is relatively small compared to what happens in the commercial sectors. Likewsie Sport anglers discard without even thinking or recognizing it.

That said it would be best to utilize them if FN people won't. DFO would have to make a concession as technically those fish are only for first nations use.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »

Sarcasm at it's best.

If a sporty caught another sporty doing that to any salmon chances are the perpetrator would end up going for a swim.
If a CO caught a sporty doing that to any salmon, chances are they would be fined and charged with animal cruelty.

But if they belong to a special interest group, it's okay because it falls under their assigned quota along with their God given rights.  Too boot, laying out criticism for their actions and questioning their integrity is considered racist.

Wrong. No one here condones wasting animals. By any user groups.
You are making unsubstantiated insinuations.

"I believe all Canadians should live as one people. All having access to buying property and goods, being able to work, or start a business, pay taxes, and enjoy the services that the country provides us. With no one receiving special consideration or financial extras, etc, etc because of race, gender, etc. etc. All Canadian citizens are and will always be considered equal under our government and laws"

That is what I stand for, and if you think that statement has ANYTHING to do with racism or discrimination, then you're not too bright and should have someone help you with your posting before insinuate things.

So, according to you, there is no such thing as the underprivileged who need "special consideration and financial extras"? The heck with struggling single mothers and the handicapped, who needs them anyway?
That is what any reasonable person will infer from your quote above.  >:(
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:06:37 AM by milo »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »

It's a blinkered view that let's you see it this way. The discard of by-catch pinks is relatively small compared to what happens in the commercial sectors. Likewsie Sport anglers discard without even thinking or recognizing it.

That said it would be best to utilize them if FN people won't. DFO would have to make a concession as technically those fish are only for first nations use.

Let's say this photo represents a single set...now multiply that by the number of boats/shore netting in a region...is that not significant? Does the quota allot for gross catch including the discarded or is it just the total retained? What percentage of culling is accounted for in a week's worth of netting...What is the mortality rate per percentage of fish processed vs wasted?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »

Wrong. No one here condones wasting animals. By any user groups.
You are making unsubstantiated insinuations.

No my friend, I'm making direct accusations because I've witnessed it with my very own eyes and have reported it without results.