Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shocking  (Read 5399 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Shocking
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »

Sad :'(

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/DesmogCanada/videos/1217502688355289/?hc_ref=ART4fCBQoZUT4swnUx0SgTViApvAgjOG_0od_94YY8aAWAHi7pm4uTtl6pyXFDm3Mi0

Ive caught broodstock rainbows that looked like this guess it's time to stop stocking the lakes to.  Ive seen all sorts of disfigurements from hatcheries.

I am sure Dave will debunk this int 5.....4....3....2.....

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »

Ive caught broodstock rainbows that looked like this guess it's time to stop stocking the lakes to.  Ive seen all sorts of disfigurements from hatcheries.

I am sure Dave will debunk this int 5.....4....3....2.....

Nothing to debunk.   Take some photos of juvenile hatchery salmon hanging out at the end of the raceway/trough or plastered on the screens next spring, at any large hatchery. Compare that to what has been shown.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 04:27:02 PM »

Any population is bound to have some less fit individuals which would quickly get weeded out in nature as they are simply not competitive enough to survive. In a farm where they are protected from predation and practically hand-fed, poor fitness members at least can survive, though probably not thrive (obviously). I'm guessing it's probably just not cost effective to sort and cull them early on.

That video is edited to imply that the pen is nothing but deformed sickly fish which may or may not be the case. Is the proportion of sick individuals higher here than other farms or broods? If so, then maybe that's something worth investigating then, and indicative of a more serious issue. Not trying to accuse anyone of anything, but maybe they just shot video of the worst examples they could find for shock value, without providing any context. It's hard to know...

GordJ

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 06:43:09 PM »

Just more "Morton science" as far as I can see.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »

Not much more to add here. Edited to highlight what the producers wanted to show then the somber music to make it sound even more tragic. There are hatchery rainbows and brook trout that have deformities also but I don't see a tragic story or video produced about that. Go fishing sometime and you are bound to encounter some.  Don't see protests to shut down provincial hatcheries.  In any population there are going to be less fit individuals, but in this situation probably a very small percentage of the whole. Occasionally Morton supporters need a boost and this provides it.  But that's the beauty of social media and how something like this can instantly act like sticky fly paper.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »

I believe the Province of BC is meeting in Vancouver tomorrow with First Nations, The beginning of the end of FF, Steve? ;D

And welcome back. :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:55:09 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 12:48:19 PM »

I believe the Province of BC is meeting in Vancouver tomorrow with First Nations, The beginning of the end of FF, Steve? ;D

And welcome back. :P
The meeting is next Thursday in Vancouver.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer