Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrowtown pump station fresh or tidal?  (Read 3902 times)

Archer

Barrowtown pump station fresh or tidal?
« on: August 18, 2017, 11:18:05 PM »

Is Barrowtown Pump Station boat launch area fresh water or tidal. I have a tidal license,  but wondering if it's freshwater.   I looked online and couldn't find my answer.  Thanks!!

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Barrowtown pump station fresh or tidal?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:56:50 PM »

The boundary between tidal and non-tidal waters, for regulation purposes, on the Fraser River is at Mission. The Fraser River and its' tribs above Mission are considered non tidal for fishing regulation purposes.

Angling in the Sumas Canal/River at Barrowntown is governed by non tidal (freshwater) regulations

Yes, there is a tidal influence at Barrowtown, but that means diddly for the regulations.

Archer

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 12:01:12 AM »

OK cool, thanks clarki. I'll get a freshwater license before I get out there with the kids.

farky

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 10:35:03 PM »

For salmon always consult the salmon supplement . http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »

Please also NOTE:  That when it comes to SALMON

You have to be Aware of both DFO REGULATIONS (They have management, Policy and Enforcement Control) and Provincial Regulations.

Here's is what their own publication's states:

Salmon limits and management measures
Because the limits and management measures for salmon change often, this
guide does not include detailed area tables. Instead, you can find the information
online (bcsportfishguide.ca).

Please excuse my "Sarcasm" but Enjoy the CONFUSION! 
Seriously.....  Try "Navigating" all the relevant sites, links, notices  and come away with a:

CLEAR and CONCISE UNDERSTANDING

I think every year they should hand out AWARDS to those very few who can accomplish this.

I know many people who first start both accessing and using the tables find it difficult but I've never had a problem or found it confusing. Some people seem to 'read' things into the regs such as if it states river A is open for coho as of August 1st - they think there are actually fish in the river at that time.

The DFO series of websites is  complicated Labyrinth and it changes frequently. Once you find the tables you want - just bookmark them.

The biggest issue I've seen is that the tables are at times not updated for regulatory announcements or those changes are posted days later.

Still our salmon fisheries have always been high variable from season to season & over the years DFO has applied a more dynamic policy in managing use of the resource to protect the stocks.

It's just the nature of the beast.

BTW there isn't much salmon fishing at the pump station or in the Sumas above the Vedder confluence so Blair you are just beating your dead horse.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »

::)