Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano Chinook  (Read 5026 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
Capilano Chinook
« on: August 15, 2017, 09:06:28 AM »

Any suggestions on a setup to target Chinook on the Capilano?

I have a 11'3 8wt Switch Rod with Skagit Line.

What Tips would you use?
Tippit material?

And, what patterns are proven effective here.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Capilano Chinook
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »

a #8 switch might be adequate. I find my #8 SH rod inadequate for springs on the Vedder.

As to flies and presentation - you're on your own.

But best I know the chinooks introduced to the Cap are Harrison River white springs - the same introduced to the Vedder/Chilliwack.

There flies that work are often small as in #6 to #10. You'll want a stout hook or perhaps a tube fly with an octopus hook.

Patterns and colors that have worked include the KCK, rolled bead head muddlers in natural, blue, olive and wood duck and gold body. Drift anglers often use blood red wool or prawns died a darker red. Suggests a prawn style or GP in that color may work. I hear some guys use popsicles. Presentations: I prefer slower presentations as in a grease line style drift or a slow figure 8 draw in deep pools in the lower river with clear tip lines. Other folks fish the deep fast heads of runs mid river using type 6 and 8 tips and a quartered swing.

I suggest you do a search here and on some of the other local sites for more info & related threads.

With all these presentations there will be question are they taking or were they flossed. I haven't landed a lot of big springs but of those I did I am sure some were taking fish - how else does the fly get stuck back in the tongue? Jacks will take and are a lot of fun often weighing 4 to 6lbs. The adult fish run 12 to 50lbs and 20lbs and better is common. The biggest I landed was about 25. A spring that size on a fly rod is quite an experience.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:43:19 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano Chinook
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 03:51:49 PM »

I have caught Chinook on a 8wt single in the cap, but its a challenge.  I have a short (12'6") 8 wt spey which is only a little longer than many switch rods, and even with a short shooting head it is way to big to cast in such narrow water.  You might find your switch too long but give it a go.  The weight is right.  A 9-10 weight single would probably be better.

I typically use a 3-6 ips sink tip (depending on water height) in the deep slow pools with a slow retrieve.  3-4 feet of 12 lbs flouro (the orange labelled Seaguar). As for flies, my go to is a size 6-8 stainless steel hook (saltwater) with bronze bead and 2-3 wraps of chartreuse UV chenille.  Very simple, but it works.   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:54:54 PM by Knnn »