Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turtles in Fraser River North Arm?  (Read 3128 times)

mesmer25

Turtles in Fraser River North Arm?
« on: August 11, 2017, 08:31:19 AM »

Was down at Frasershore Park, fishing for NPM this morning, saw a turtle swimming around.
Anyone knows if there is a population of turtles on the Fraser as this is the first time I've seen one.

Regards
Anthony

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Turtles in Fraser River North Arm?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:53:06 AM »

Yes.

jacklam999

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:48:55 PM »

Did u catch anything,how was the water stilll muddy?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:34:07 PM »

Those turtles better stick around creeks or a bit of a protected area as my guess if they are along the shore they will get caught up in the big wake from tugs & bigger boats & get smashed on the rocky shore in most areas of the North Fraser.

mesmer25

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:10:33 AM »

Yes.

Thanks, did not expect to see a turtle swimming the Fraser

Did u catch anything,how was the water stilll muddy?

nope did not catch anything that day, water was still green pea soup

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 10:39:02 PM »

are you sure it wasn't a Turdle? :o

Quin

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 11:37:37 PM »

Watch out!   ::)
They might close it down to protect the turtles! This is from the B.C. government on closing 3 "Region 2" waters
"The increased angling pressure threatens native populations of Western Painted Turtle – Pacific Coastal Population (Chrysemys picta pop.1). Specifically, multiple turtles have been documented with angling hook injuries, in some cases mortally. Coastal Western Painted Turtles are endangered in Canada " and they say angling is "a known threat" to the turtles.
A lake in the Okanagan was no longer stocked with trout, as well, because of the "turtle" problem. (Salmon Arm, I believe)

I doubt they would, but with a NDP/Green government, you never know what may happen if a "friend of the turtles" whispers in the government's ear.  ::)

mesmer25

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »

Watch out!   ::)
They might close it down to protect the turtles! This is from the B.C. government on closing 3 "Region 2" waters
"The increased angling pressure threatens native populations of Western Painted Turtle – Pacific Coastal Population (Chrysemys picta pop.1). Specifically, multiple turtles have been documented with angling hook injuries, in some cases mortally. Coastal Western Painted Turtles are endangered in Canada " and they say angling is "a known threat" to the turtles.
A lake in the Okanagan was no longer stocked with trout, as well, because of the "turtle" problem. (Salmon Arm, I believe)

I doubt they would, but with a NDP/Green government, you never know what may happen if a "friend of the turtles" whispers in the government's ear.  ::)

From the picture that I took, it looks like a slider turtle