Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Navigation Course for Sept 9/10  (Read 2756 times)

skitterbug

River Navigation Course for Sept 9/10
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:19 AM »

This is an excellent course for people that float or are interested in floating rivers, this course WILL give you the knowledge and skills to navigate river safely and effectively. This course has been designed for all skill levels, floating rivers are way more enjoyable and stress-free when you know how to properly navigate them.

On the second day you will be using your own boat, if you don't have one they can be rented(limited availability).

Link to course - https://kumsheen.com/contact/river-navigation-course/ 

Pricing: $419(2-day) Includes Camping, equipment and lunches.
Dates: Sept 9/10
Meals: Riverside lunch, each day
Accommodation: Camping at Kumsheen Resort is included.
Also Includes: In-class & on-river training, PFD/Helmet/Wetsuit

To register contact:

Kumsheen Rafting Resort

1-800-663-6667

Email: rafting@kumsheen.com

I came across Red's fishing shop(Washington) that does a 4 hr course for $150 US. The River Navigation Course from Kumsheen is $419 for 16 hrs, so for a comparison 16 hrs of instruction across the border would cost $600 US($750 Canadian)!!! A 4hrs is too short of a course to adequately education anglers on river safety and navigation. So this course is a great deal! And includes camping and lunches for both days.

If you have any further question send me an email - darrenwagner@hotmail.com

Jk47

Re: River Navigation Course for Sept 9/10
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »

Thanks for re-posting! Problem is this time I don't know if I can afford it. Things are a little tight right now as I've spent a lot of $ on gas driving to Squamish last couple weeks  (joke, haha). Will try and scrounge some pennies over the next few weeks

skitterbug

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »

Save your gas money! This course might be the last one for awhile.....

skitterbug

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:00:39 AM »

Spots still available.

skitterbug

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 08:40:20 PM »

Thanks for re-posting! Problem is this time I don't know if I can afford it. Things are a little tight right now as I've spent a lot of $ on gas driving to Squamish last couple weeks  (joke, haha). Will try and scrounge some pennies over the next few weeks

Hey Jk47, sent you a private message.

Cheers

eager_rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »

This is an excellent course for people that float or are interested in floating rivers, this course WILL give you the knowledge and skills to navigate river safely and effectively. This course has been designed for all skill levels, floating rivers are way more enjoyable and stress-free when you know how to properly navigate them.

On the second day you will be using your own boat, if you don't have one they can be rented(limited availability).

Link to course - https://kumsheen.com/contact/river-navigation-course/ 

Pricing: $419(2-day) Includes Camping, equipment and lunches.
Dates: Sept 9/10
Meals: Riverside lunch, each day
Accommodation: Camping at Kumsheen Resort is included.
Also Includes: In-class & on-river training, PFD/Helmet/Wetsuit

To register contact:

Kumsheen Rafting Resort

1-800-663-6667

Email: rafting@kumsheen.com

I came across Red's fishing shop(Washington) that does a 4 hr course for $150 US. The River Navigation Course from Kumsheen is $419 for 16 hrs, so for a comparison 16 hrs of instruction across the border would cost $600 US($750 Canadian)!!! A 4hrs is too short of a course to adequately education anglers on river safety and navigation. So this course is a great deal! And includes camping and lunches for both days.

If you have any further question send me an email - darrenwagner@hotmail.com

My girlfriend and I were both interested in doing this, but the cost is prohibitive for us as well (both in grad school). Are there any plans to do shorter courses? I used to be a surf instructor, so I know how much more useful more time can be, but we just can't afford the 2-day for now.

skitterbug

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 09:40:54 AM »

My girlfriend and I were both interested in doing this, but the cost is prohibitive for us as well (both in grad school). Are there any plans to do shorter courses? I used to be a surf instructor, so I know how much more useful more time can be, but we just can't afford the 2-day for now.

Thanks for your inquiry, I'll try my best to explain the situation. Kumsheen does a 12 commercial guide training, which gives you a basic training for navigating river, they end up doing another month of training before they can take customers down river on their own. The 2 day Level 1 Course is a very condensed version of the 12 day, we also offer Level 2 and 3 courses, to increase your knowledge on river navigation and river rescue.

As for the price, it's a deal compared to what companies charge in the USA.  Basically Kumsheen is doing this course as a favour to me because I worked for them in the 90's, it's hardly worthwhile for them. Due to liability insurance (which is $3000/year) I would have to charge way more to do it on my own! Kumsheen is charging the same amount as their 2 day trip and that's without any instruction! What price is your life worth?

I personally have to take time off my real job to do these courses, but I'm passionate on educating other on how to safely navigate rivers. We've had several people in our course tell us about their near death experiences of flipping on log jams, and swimming under logs, other being rescued by Chilliwack Search and Rescue. I heard of at least 2 boats flipping on the lower Chilliwack river last winter/spring, one being a guided trip! The lower Chilliwack is a VERY easy section of river, if you have the basic navigational skills. I find it absurd that commercial raft guides require training to take customer down, but fishing guides don't! 2 days is the absolute shortest course to give people the basic skills to get them safely down easy rivers. Rivers are not "moving lakes" or oceans, when situations happen on rivers you need the knowledge to react quickly and what to do in certain situations. Learning basic navigation will prevent near death experiences, and you'll be able to enjoy the experience and not be afraid of easy rapids and bridge pillars!

If there was enough interest I could do a 3 to 3 1/2 lecture on river features, hazards, safety equipment and the fundementals of basic navigation and rescue. I wouldn't be able to do anything on rivers due to liability issues, but could do some dry land stuff.

So if anyone is interested in a 3hr discussion let me know and I'll come up with a cost.

eager_rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 02:57:30 PM »

Thanks for your inquiry, I'll try my best to explain the situation. Kumsheen does a 12 commercial guide training, which gives you a basic training for navigating river, they end up doing another month of training before they can take customers down river on their own. The 2 day Level 1 Course is a very condensed version of the 12 day, we also offer Level 2 and 3 courses, to increase your knowledge on river navigation and river rescue.

As for the price, it's a deal compared to what companies charge in the USA.  Basically Kumsheen is doing this course as a favour to me because I worked for them in the 90's, it's hardly worthwhile for them. Due to liability insurance (which is $3000/year) I would have to charge way more to do it on my own! Kumsheen is charging the same amount as their 2 day trip and that's without any instruction! What price is your life worth?

I personally have to take time off my real job to do these courses, but I'm passionate on educating other on how to safely navigate rivers. We've had several people in our course tell us about their near death experiences of flipping on log jams, and swimming under logs, other being rescued by Chilliwack Search and Rescue. I heard of at least 2 boats flipping on the lower Chilliwack river last winter/spring, one being a guided trip! The lower Chilliwack is a VERY easy section of river, if you have the basic navigational skills. I find it absurd that commercial raft guides require training to take customer down, but fishing guides don't! 2 days is the absolute shortest course to give people the basic skills to get them safely down easy rivers. Rivers are not "moving lakes" or oceans, when situations happen on rivers you need the knowledge to react quickly and what to do in certain situations. Learning basic navigation will prevent near death experiences, and you'll be able to enjoy the experience and not be afraid of easy rapids and bridge pillars!

If there was enough interest I could do a 3 to 3 1/2 lecture on river features, hazards, safety equipment and the fundementals of basic navigation and rescue. I wouldn't be able to do anything on rivers due to liability issues, but could do some dry land stuff.

So if anyone is interested in a 3hr discussion let me know and I'll come up with a cost.

Hey, thanks so much for the really comprehensive reply. I certainly don't want to undervalue the training you provide or how important it is to anyone who spends time on rivers. I also don't think the price is unreasonable for a few days of immersive training, it seems totally reasonable, if not on the cheap side.

I would absolutely be interested in a seminar style course (as would my girlfriend), please let me know if this materializes.

skitterbug

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 08:51:16 PM »

Sent you a PM

If there's enough interest in a seminar then I'll see.

Cheers,
Darren
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:59:02 PM by skitterbug »