Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recent Chilliwack River Vehicle Break - ins  (Read 15319 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Recent Chilliwack River Vehicle Break - ins
« on: June 28, 2017, 05:31:50 PM »

Just another word of caution. With the Chilliwack  Vedder River opening on July 1 be careful where you park and what you leave in your vehicle when out fishing.

Today when out checking out the river, by the Teskey Rock and Salmon Trail parking area (just above the Vedder Bridge) I saw 3 mounds of glass and a smashed out window of a white van so the smash and grab thieves are at work once again.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:44:31 PM by chris gadsden »

Blackrt03

Re: Recent Chilliwack River Vehicle Break - ins
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:50:28 PM »

Thanks for the heads up

cdjk123

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »

Sadly, this is the best advice you can get while fishing the Vedder-LOCK your car, and make sure your don't have any valuables visible!

Jk47

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »

Going to print out this note and laminate it so I can put it in my window when I go fishing:
If you are a peace officer and wish to ticket or tow me, please consider first calling my cell phone at _ _ _ _ _ _ ....I am nearby and will gladly relocate my vehicle if you so wish.
If you are a thief wishing to smash my window and root through my vehicle for valuables, please consider first that I solemnly declare there are no valuables or goods in my vehicle and if you choose to do so anyways and I happen to come upon you, I have my 210 lb German Shepard with me and he doesn't like strangers ;)

dave c

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »

Going to print out this note and laminate it so I can put it in my window when I go fishing:
If you are a peace officer and wish to ticket or tow me, please consider first calling my cell phone at _ _ _ _ _ _ ....I am nearby and will gladly relocate my vehicle if you so wish.
If you are a thief wishing to smash my window and root through my vehicle for valuables, please consider first that I solemnly declare there are no valuables or goods in my vehicle and if you choose to do so anyways and I happen to come upon you, I have my 210 lb German Shepard with me and he doesn't like strangers ;)
great idea tks

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »

Summer job for area university students.

Will baby sit your parked vehicle as you fish.
Regular 1 student sits in chair next to parked vehicle. $20  4 hrs.
Deluxe service 4 students with baseball bats sit on each side of vehicle. $80 4 hrs.
Extra hrs charged at $10 per regular service.
Extra hrs charged at $25 per deluxe service.
( students can read university books as they protect )

cdjk123

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »

Damn, that works out to be 5 dollars an hour. Youre a mean employer  ;)

Apennock

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 08:00:34 PM »

I work up that way and I have yet to see a locked car stop anyone.  Best thing to do is take your valuables with you then leave the car unlocked.  They'll go through but at least they might leave your windows. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 08:39:45 PM »

I work up that way and I have yet to see a locked car stop anyone.  Best thing to do is take your valuables with you then leave the car unlocked.  They'll go through but at least they might leave your windows.

They might just smash your windows because you left them nothing to steal

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 08:44:14 PM »

Just saw a video posted on FB that the camp that was taken down a few months ago is all set up again in this area. :-X

arimaBOATER

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 12:23:50 PM »

Damn, that works out to be 5 dollars an hour. Youre a mean employer  ;)

;D Well better than asking for volunteers.
On a serious note having one's vehicle vandalized / property stolen after a planned outing is such a "downer".
Scum putting their presence on your property.
Anyone who breaks an auto window & steals is such a no brain dishonourable person.
Jails are full of these guys who are charged with theft.
Victim has to replace whatever was taken plus the hassle of going to ICBC...auto glass repair...
We all pay the extra $ because of theft.
Department stores insurance rates on & on...
Guess the thieves do create jobs for the police courts & jail system...plus sales of security personnel ,electronics, locks,...
These guys are sneaky to target a parked vehicle, but the bolder guys ( seen vid the other day. ) come up behind you / friend & attack. Once on the sidewalk they then steal your watch ring wallet...
These guys must be celebrating Canada Day. "We love Canada because when we do crime our freebie lawyer tells the nice judge how we have mental problems or how we were raised in a bad home & thus the judge gives us a "slap on the wrist".
Some other countries the punishment may be a bullet,hands cut off,in jail for years,that houses 5000 inmates. ( prison built to hold 800 ) ...
Oh & no color tv  or phone or nice bed or tasty food.

Apennock

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »

They might just smash your windows because you left them nothing to steal

Thats why you keep just a little bit of meth in the glove box. 

Birkenhead

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 08:31:32 PM »

If you are a peace officer and wish to ticket or tow me, please consider first calling my cell phone at _ _ _ _ _ _ ....I am nearby and will gladly relocate my vehicle if you so wish.  If you are a thief wishing to smash my window and root through my vehicle for valuables, please consider first that I solemnly declare there are no valuables or goods in my vehicle and if you choose to do so anyways and I happen to come upon you, I have my 210 lb German Shepard with me and he doesn't like strangers ;)

That is akin to security theater. Thieves are a bit smarter then that and know that anglers often leave their vehicles for long periods of time. They also know that the RCMP are not everywhere and cannot always respond in a timely manner. There are some old threads and posts on this forum where people emptied their vehicles, left the doors unlocked, left a note, etc only to come back to find their windows smashed.

As for the threat of the dog, be careful. Defending a dog liability lawsuit, could proof costly, even if the dog does not attack nor bite a person.

http://www.ahbl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Thats-Not-My-Dog1.pdf

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 08:54:10 PM »

Parking lots with high number of break-ins should have cameras installed.

Jk47

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 09:18:58 PM »

Just between you and me Birkenhead, I don't own a dog.