Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favorite Books  (Read 4432 times)

Apennock

Favorite Books
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:12:15 AM »

I've recently had to cut back my electronic time considerably and, since I can no longer spend hours down rabbit holes across various corners of the internet to learn about fly fishing I have decided to expand my book collections.  So far I have gone through: "The West Coast Fly Fisher", "The Essential Guide to Fly Fishing British Columbia" and "A River Runs Through It"

Right now I have "The Gilly" and "Fly Fishing The Trout Lakes" on my wishlist. 

What are everyone's favorite fly fishing books?

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Favorite Books
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »

Right now I have "The Gilly" and "Fly Fishing The Trout Lakes" on my wishlist. 

Not sure which one you are referring to but there is

"Fly Fish the Trout Lakes" by Jack Shaw
"On Fly Fishing Trout Lakes" By Skip Morris and Brian Chan

Both are classics but the Morris and Chan is the more up to date and far more comprehensive IMHO. They are all are currently out of print AFAIK so I think you will have to source them from the used market if you want a copy for the shelf...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 03:03:32 PM »

Anything by John Gierach

Jerry Dennis is another favourite author. Not a flyfishing author per se, but fishing and flyfishing are themes in many of his essays.

Other west coast flyfishing books in my library are:
The Estuary Flyfisher: Raymond
Fly Fishing in British Columbia: edited by Jones
Fly Fishing British Columbia: edited by Bruhn
BC Outdoors The Ultimate Fly Box
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 03:19:07 PM by clarki »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »

Shaw's Tying flies for trophy Trout expands his first book to include his own patterns.

Any book by Tom Rosenbauer is chalk full of fly fishing info. I think he wrote 3 or 4 - correction many more: https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/127570.Tom_Rosenbauer. For me his Guide to Reading Trout Streams literally wrote the book on the topic. He released a new book this year Flyfishing for Trout - The Next Level.

I keep going back to Haig Brown's Fisherman's season quarter for enjoyable reading and lots of insight. Fisherman's Spring and Summer were the best. Winter is about a long trip to Chile and some people think not consistent with the other 3. Fall is fine but the decline of fishing in the Campbell & surrounds plus his busy life affected the book.

The Island has produced a large number of good books from other writer worth looking for - shame the lower mainland has not for the most part.

A super enjoyable read is Trout Madness by Robert Traver - early to mid-century fishing on Michigan's North Peninsula. It's a true classic.

check out used book stores as I have picked up many bargains that way. Also the local library as most have a decent collection of fishing books.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:53:33 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 04:55:08 PM »

BC Stillwater flyfishing:
The Gilly (various authors) - this book is the bible and a fun read as well
On Flyfishing the Trout Lakes (Morris & Chan) - a more updated and technical "bible" for our fishery!

Steelhead flyfishing:
A Passion for Steelhead (Hogan) - this is the book that got me super stoked to swing flies for steelhead, and I credit it largely to helping me catch my first on the fly! There are other books on this subject that came out before it and might be more popular (Trey Combs, Bill McMillan, etc), but nothing else I've read stirred up my own "passion" more than this book.

Flyfishing prose:
Seasons of a Fisherman (Haig-Brown) - few books I've read are more poetic and beautifully written than this collection by the man himself. Fantastic read.
Anything by (Gierach) - hilarious almost always, and sometimes quite touching as well.
A River Runs Through It (Maclean) - the story that many credit (or discredit, depending on how you look at it) with creating modern-day flyfishing culture.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:58:07 PM by Tex »