Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More DFO Cutting By Government  (Read 5393 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: More DFO Cutting By Government
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 11:01:33 PM »

I think this is an older article. It names the Harper govt and here is another link with the same text dated July 2012?

http://commonsensecanadian.ca/harper-wasting-no-time-slashing-dfo-habitat-jobs-as-notices-go-out-to-staff/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:04:41 PM by DanL »

dnibbles

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »

That happened 5 years ago Chris. But look at the link Tylsie posted, it is the current one you intended to post.

firebird

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 02:52:12 PM »

Here's a link to a current article about the issue http://www.squamishchief.com/news/local-news/fish-programs-cut-1.20241215

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 04:24:06 PM »

ZoAnn Morten Here are DFO speaking notes - this should give you the clear background you need to move forward

· By now you may have heard that DFO has made significant changes to our SEP program. Overall, DFO will be making significant new investments in salmon protection and management, however, some reallocations were required to make these investments.

· DFO has chosen to eliminate the Resource Restoration Program, technical support contracts for community salmon projects, and the education coordinator contracts that deliver the Salmonids in the Classroom education program. In addition, DFO will be ceasing production of steelhead and cutthroat trout at DFO hatcheries.

· DFO acknowledges and appreciates all your work and dedication over many years‎ to the salmon resource. DFO is continuing to invest in programs to support Wild Salmon Policy, Cohen recommendations, and the Fisheries Act review. DFO remains committed to the salmon resource and community partners, as reflected in the significant and ongoing investment in SEP and the recently announced Coastal Restoration Fund.

· The changes announced to SEP‎ are very challenging in relation to how we do our business. The changes have been made because the Department is seeking to focus on its legislative and regulatory priorities.

· We recognize this is little comfort to those of you who have done this work for a long time, and we will be working hard over the coming weeks to determine how we can continue to support community stewardship efforts to protect and enhance salmon populations.

· I will continue to keep you posted as more information becomes available. In the interim, please let me know if you have questions and concerns so that they can be incorporated into our discussions and plans.
Like · Reply · 9 hrs

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 04:28:28 PM »

Does this mean no more hatchery steelhead for the Chilliwack Vedder River?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »

Does this mean no more hatchery steelhead for the Chilliwack Vedder River?
That's the way it reads.  Should be an interesting next few weeks ...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »

I thought steelhead and trout produced at Federal hatcheries was done under contract with the Province? I know when I was involved with a community hatchery the funding rate from the Province more or less just covered the feed. The DFO community person told the hatchery what equipment etc was required and the hatchery was supposed to find the funding.

Sounds like F&W for the province may have to establish capacity for steelhead and cutthroat programs if DFO is intent on getting those programs out of their hatcheries.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 01:25:39 PM »

I think this is going to turn ugly.  The writing has been on the wall for several years that DFO was looking to get out of steelhead production at their facilities, and afaik, the Province did not supply any money to these programs.  Will the Province step up and fund steelhead hatcheries?    Guess it depends on who or what coalition government will make those decisions ...
I am far more concerned about the curtailment of Community Advisors and habitat restoration projects, if indeed that is the case.  Gotta say I hope this is another balls up by DFO's incredibly inept Communications Department.  We will see.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 03:55:38 PM »

NEW!

House of Commons Petition.
This one could do what is needed!  ;)

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1133