Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunkwa in July?  (Read 3102 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Tunkwa in July?
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:51:53 PM »

Still good for fishing or too hot?

sbc hris

Re: Tunkwa in July?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »

Still good, especially this year with the late start to spring.

Birkenhead

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:12:34 AM »

July is a good time for fishing Tunkwa and as already mentioned, the late spring should help. It does get hot (and windy) up there and I will repeat what I wrote in another recent post:

Tunkwa can get very windy. I find that first light to about 11:00 am is best before the winds start to pick up. After about 5-6 pm, the winds usually slow down and the lake is fishable again until nightfall.

As for fishing, I don't fly fish but find that everything from small lures and spinners, a Luhr Jensen cowbell or a Gibbs gang troll with a short leader and worm work very well as does a wedding ring and worm.

Rodney has posted a few videos of Tunkwa and worth seeing before you decide to take a trip up there.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:25:24 AM »

Thanks,

I ask because I went there last year in June and had a blast and caught so many big fishies, we stopped before we caught our limit.

This year my only chance will be to go in July and was thinking of taking nieces and nephews and would like for them to catch a few...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:34:52 AM »

For Fly anglers Tunkwa is known for it's excellent 'bomber' hatches in mid-summer. Bombers are large chirnomids in the size 8 to 12 range. Ask at the lodge when you book your trip what you should be prepared for.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sbc hris

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »

Thanks,

I ask because I went there last year in June and had a blast and caught so many big fishies, we stopped before we caught our limit.

This year my only chance will be to go in July and was thinking of taking nieces and nephews and would like for them to catch a few...

July this year will likely be like June last year. The weather is at least a month behind last year. Hopefully you can get your neices and nephews into some fishies!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 05:07:33 PM »

Let's hope!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 06:58:16 PM »

I've been through a few years of cold springs - basically by around the beginning of July everything in terms of hatches catches up... cold years may see a reduced length of summer doldrums or for a higher altitude lake like Tunkwa - they may not take place.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 07:42:33 PM »

I'm telling myself it's going to be simply amazing, the best ever!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 10:25:57 AM »

Lots of other options if Tunkwa isn't producing well during your visit in July. You can try Logan, or head north to Morgan or Six Mile, or head a little further to fish Kamloops Lake or Thompson River. With that said, Tunkwa should do just fine. It's been fishing better and better each year in the past several.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 11:57:05 PM »

Thanks!

With a random assortment of folks mostly shorter than me, it's one lake boom or bust.

But I know it's gunna be yuge!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 07:25:28 AM »

Lots of other options if Tunkwa isn't producing well during your visit in July. You can try Logan, or head north to Morgan or Six Mile, or head a little further to fish Kamloops Lake or Thompson River. With that said, Tunkwa should do just fine. It's been fishing better and better each year in the past several.

don't forget Leighton. Face and Paska are back towards Lac Le Jeune. They are high lakes with lots of trout that are big enough to be fun!