Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hicks Lake, May 4th 2017  (Read 4592 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Hicks Lake, May 4th 2017
« on: May 07, 2017, 10:38:02 PM »

I went to Hicks Lake on my own for a few hours on Thursday. Fishing was pretty good. Water temperature was hovering between 48F and 52F. All the fish were caught in around 10 to 20 feet of water. I was able to encounter all the species, including kokanee, cutthroat trout, newly stocked Fraser Valley rainbow trout, previously stocked Fraser Valley rainbow trout (see photo below), and native rainbow trout. All were caught with Pautzke Bait's pink shrimp eggs under a float at 10 to 15 feet deep. It should be excellent in the next few weeks if you are looking for somewhere to go that's not too far away.

Ambassador

Re: Hicks Lake, May 4th 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 04:48:45 PM »

I was able to encounter all the species, including kokanee, cutthroat trout, newly stocked Fraser Valley rainbow trout, previously stocked Fraser Valley rainbow trout (see photo below), and native rainbow trout.
Looks like you had an awesome day out there, Rod!
What are the identifiers that help tell us if we are holding a stocked vs native rainbow trout? Not as easy to ID as hatchery vs wild Salmon I'm sure.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »

One day, I'll tell you about catching an eagle at that little lake on the way in there....... ;)
http://

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 10:28:21 PM »

Looks like you had an awesome day out there, Rod!
What are the identifiers that help tell us if we are holding a stocked vs native rainbow trout? Not as easy to ID as hatchery vs wild Salmon I'm sure.

I would determine that the fish he is holding is a hatchery fish, due to the worn dorsal fin and tail. I would say it's a second year (or more fish) in the lake, as the fins look to have regenerated quite a bit, and it's larger than a recently stocked fish. Recently stocked fish will have worn fin edges that are notice-able and should be in the 200-250 gram range (8-10 inches long).

Native strain rainbows and cutthroat should have perfectly intact fins, especially the dorsal.

Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 12:00:50 AM »

I would determine that the fish he is holding is a hatchery fish, due to the worn dorsal fin and tail. I would say it's a second year (or more fish) in the lake, as the fins look to have regenerated quite a bit, and it's larger than a recently stocked fish. Recently stocked fish will have worn fin edges that are notice-able and should be in the 200-250 gram range (8-10 inches long).

Native strain rainbows and cutthroat should have perfectly intact fins, especially the dorsal.

That makes good sense. I was looking at the tail for rounded edges - but didn't register it as worn and regenerated. Upon closer look (and with the help of your discerning eye) the top part of the tail and does look like it was damaged and healed over - as does the dorsal.

I caught a bunch near Squamish last weekend with all but one (4-5") being around the size you mentioned - all had fairly worn down tails like this one below:
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 08:00:36 AM »

Here is a video from that trip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqmnl5ZvSIA